Chapter 7:

Killian POV:

Emma's phone call was surprising, to say the least. She'd been avoiding me for so long that I'd accepted the fact that she didn't want anything to do with me. The drunk texting was just a fluke.

Still, I got dressed and spent an ungodly amount of time fixing my hair in front of the bathroom mirror before giving up. It would stick out all over the place anyway.

The walk to her apartment was sort of brutal, it was freezing cold outside but I dealt with it out of hope that she would be giving me a chance. Just maybe.

Emma POV:

It seemed to take forever, and I thought I would lose my nerve before too long but he showed. A knock on my door made me jump but I composed myself before answering it.

"Killian." I said, trying to smile.

"Swan." He greeted in return with a nod.

"Come in." I said sort of awkwardly. This didn't seem to be going very well, hopefully it wasn't a mistake.

Before I could turn to him, there was another knock on the door. I answered it to find the pizza delivery person had arrived. I paid, thanked him, and set the pizza on the coffee table before going to the fridge. I thought about offering him a beer, but considering his recent drunken mistake I thought it would be best not to. Instead I grabbed two sodas and went back to the couch to sit next to him.

I smiled and handed one to him before opening the box and taking a slice. We ate in a bit of an awkward silence for about fifteen minutes or so before he broke it.

"What's going on?" He asked me.

"Alright, I guess I need to tell you. Your brother came to see me." I admitted, staring at my hands.

"I'm sorry, he likes to stick his nose where it doesn't belong. Especially when it comes to me." He apologized.

"No, it's okay. It was helpful. He, um, well he..." I stuttered, knowing Killian would be angry with his brother the moment he found out.

"You have to promise not to be mad at him." I said, finally looking at Killian.

"There are few things my brother can do to make me angry." He said with that damn crooked grin.

"Okay. He came to see me at work, and he, uh, he told me everything." I forced out.

He looked confused. "Everything?"

I nodded, hoping he would get the picture without me having to say anything. Within seconds, I watched his face go from curious to infuriated. Then he looked me dead in the eye.

"He shouldn't have done that."

There was a dark tone to his voice. "He was just trying to help me understand you." I said in a shaky  voice.

"Well I don't need your pity." He said before standing up.

"Killian, I'm sorry. But don't be upset with him." I got up with him.

"Of course you're sorry!" He yelled in my face, making me take a step back. This was a new side to him. "Everyone is sorry for me when they learn what I am. Poor orphan boy. I don't bloody need it!"

At this point I was almost up against a wall, afraid he would yell again. But he grabbed his coat and stormed out, slamming the door behind him. In the short time I'd known him, he'd seemed like such a gentle person. This version of him had me feeling like a child again, constantly doing wrong in the eyes of whatever foster parent I had.