Chapter 31:

Emma POV:

Everything was going perfect. Killian moved in with us and we had a great routine, I dropped Henry off at school unless he decided he wanted Killian to instead. On the occasion that he did, my wonderful boyfriend was happy to oblige. We were both home around the same time, unless I was behind on work. Killian would pick Henry up for me on those days and usually take him out to eat so I wouldn't have to worry about cooking.

But of course it couldn't last. Not two weeks after Killian moved in with us, I had stopped by the store on my way home after I picked up Henry. Killian was waiting for us at home and we needed a few essentials.

This town wasn't that big, but it wasn't small either. Small enough for me to apparently run into someone I never wanted to see again.

Henry was a few feet away from me and looking at dog treats for Frank when I heard a familiar voice.

"Emma?"

I turned my head in shock. "Neal."

Why the hell was he here of all places? Why did he have to end up being near me? I automatically turned around and grabbed Henry, ready to run.

"Emma, who is that?" I heard him say from behind me. Neal wasn't stupid, he could see that Henry looked like him.

"Who's that man?" Henry asked me.

"No one, just keep walking." I ushered him out the front door and we were almost to the car when Neal stepped in front of me.

"Emma, just stop for a minute." He held his hands out.

"Mom, what's going on?" Henry turned to me. Shit, there went my last chance at keeping that a secret.

"It's okay. Just get in the car, please." Henry nodded and got in the passenger seat.

"Wait, kid, how old are you?" He turned to Henry.

"Don't answer him!" I said to Henry.

"Seven. Why?" Henry answered.

"He's seven." Neal breathlessly said, turning back to me.

"Henry..." I shot a warning glance at my son. He immediately got in the car and shut the door.

"Is that my son?" Neal asked me. I was quiet for a second. "Is that my son?!" He asked in a more aggressive tone.

"Yes." I answered in a shaky voice.

He ran his hands through his hair. "How could you keep this from me? Why?"

"You sent me to jail! Do you remember that? Why the hell would I want you around my son!" I yelled at him. He had no right to ask me why I kept Henry away.

"I'm sorry, Emma. After I did that I realized I was wrong, that's why I left you the car." He pointed to my bug.

"You think an old car can make up for that? What is wrong with you?" I yelled more.

"I really am sorry! I was a stupid teenager! But my son! You could have at least told me!"

I huffed. "I didn't even keep him." I now had tears in my eyes.

"Then how is he-" he tried to say.

"I just got him back." I cut him off. "He found me some months ago, on the night I was going to head out to look for him myself. I was eighteen, I couldn't take care of him when I had him. So I gave him up but when I finally felt like I could take care of him a friend helped me find him. I was about to leave to see him when he showed up at my front door. He had run away so I took him back and I did what I had to do to get custody of him again."