Chapter 1.

A/N An edited version of this e-book is available for free on Smashwords, Barnes & Noble, Apple Books, Kobo (etc.). Please download it and leave a review if you enjoy reading this :D

Chapter 1.

*****

"I can't believe she would do that! How dare she?" I chuckled as Claire ranted on about what some girl did to her at her track practice earlier.

I didn't do any sports; I was usually in the library all afternoon, if I wasn't, I was with my friends because they didn't have any type of practice or lecture at the moment. It wasn't that I hated sports or anything... it was that I was probably physically incapable of running even thirty meters without tripping over my own feet. But hey, I was still fit because my roommate always dragged me to the gym with him saying he needed a spotter. As long as there was no running involved, I was good.

"That looks heavy." I shot a glare at Shiloh when he joined us while we were walking across the clearing towards the parking lot. Being the kind of friend he was – and obviously Claire as well – he didn't bother offering any help aside from his comment.

"Yeah, I didn't notice." I muttered sarcastically as I moved my arm around the books in my arms trying, unsuccessfully, to make it easier to carry.

My bag was already filled.

"You have heard of the internet, right?" Shiloh kept poking at me.

"I prefer more reliable means of study then celebrity pictures captioned with fake quotes from historical figures." I replied. He chuckled as Claire laughed.

"You're coming to James' tonight, right?" He asked.

"No, I have an assignment to finish." I said.

"When's it due, Alex?" he gave me a look. I gave him a tight, guilty smile, let's just say I didn't HAVE to finish it today, but I preferred getting things done as soon as possible, "Come on, Man, even the girls are coming. You never take a night off!" he said.

"I'll take nights off when I graduate." I shrugged.

"Yes, two years from now, amazing. No wonder you can't find a guy." I shot him a glare.

"He's right, you know." Claire waved a chip at me. "How is anyone supposed to fall for your adorable face when they never even see you?"

"Adorable? Really? You couldn't find a better word?" I frowned at her before I rolled my eyes. "I don't need anyone." I said.

"Hah." Claire began laughing. "Shiloh, tell him." She looked at Shiloh.

"Man, you need to get laid. Everyone can see that. You practically fricking radiating stress and obviously that stress is not academic or financial." Shiloh said.

I felt my face burn as both my best friends stared at me waiting for me to reply.

"Uh... I'll- I'll see you guys on Monday. Tell AJ I send my regards, Claire." I said.

They both groaned. "See, you can't even speak like a normal person anymore! You have no social skills!" Claire said.

"Alex, help us, help you." Shiloh said taking my shoulders and looking at me seriously. I laughed.

"See you guys later," I said seeing my roommate waiting for me at his car.

"Wait, let's see something –" Shiloh ran over to my roommate, Jordan's car, "Hey, J. Quick question. What will you be doing tonight?" he asked as they fist-bumped.

"Party at James'" Jordan said as he fist-bumped my hand before hugging Claire. Shiloh turned to me giving me a pointed look, Jordan laughed, "Another night in? You cannot be serious, Alexander!" He said to me. I rolled my eyes at the use of my entire name.