Chapter 40.

Chapter 40.

*****

I opened my eyes letting out a groan as I grabbed my phone and realised I had gotten less than two hours of sleep, I wasn't surprised. It was just after six in the morning. How could Jordan's parents think we could rest while Ezra had not woken up for yet?

I sighed pushing myself up in bed before running my hands through my hair and over my face until I stopped and temporarily panicked when I saw someone across my room. I relaxed when I realised who it was.

"Sergio." I mumbled annoyed. What the hell was he doing lurking in the dark?!

"You look terrible."

"How did you get in here? How long have you been here?" I asked as he stood up from my desk chair and sat on the edge of my bed.

"Window. Just an hour. Where's Jordan?" Sergio asked as he hugged me.

"He's not here?" I asked alarmed, forgetting about the fact that he had shown up at 5 A.M. in the morning.

"I didn't know which room was yours so I looked through all of them on the second floor, I didn't see him." he said.

"I'll check downstairs." I got out of bed.

"Babe, wait –"

"I have to find him if he's gone, Sergio. He thinks he did this – he might hurt himself." I said walking out.

I made my way through my house slowly as I looked for Jordan.

His mother had forced us to leave after we had all been there a day, she promised to call when Ezra woke up but said we needed to get some rest and get cleaned up. The Doctor had said he was incredibly lucky to have been brought in when he had with the amount of blood he was losing.

I blinked to bring myself back to where I was and realised I had just stepped off the last stair.

"Jordan?" I called.

I did not receive a response, I had not really expected to. Jordan had been quiet since he managed to stop his tears at the hospital yesterday.

The doctor assured us that Ezra's slumber was only because of medication, of course that didn't make anyone less anxious.

I walked into the living room and found Jordan on the floor. He hadn't eaten in the past couple days. Hell, he barely moved. He just alternated between his bed and this specific spot on our living room floor.

"J..." I drifted not really knowing what to say.

He was seated in the corner, his legs crossed beneath him as he stared blankly at the wall across him holding an action figure in his hands. I recognised it as the one Ezra had kept with him all the time, he loved that toy.

"Jordan –"

"I messed up." he whispered.

"No, you didn't. You –"

"If... if we... if we got there seconds later...." He said. I swallowed looking at the floor.

"Have you had breakfast?" I asked trying to distract him a little.

"I'm not hungry."

"You have to eat something; you can't see Ezra looking like this..." I said kneeling down in front of him and grabbing his shoulders.

"I shouldn't see him... I c – I can't even look at mom... How could I... he – he knows..." He said, "It's my fault." he whispered shakily. I began to shake my head but he shook his, "I was supposed to be watching him, Alex... I – I left him... I let him get hurt... He could've been killed – because of me." he choked out.