Chapter 28.

Chapter 28.

*****

By the end of the week, my exams were done which meant I was on break. I let out an exhausted sigh seeing Sergio's car across the street as I made my way out of school. Why couldn't Clyde be here? I needed to sleep, not to attend another one of Sergio's meetings where I would be wasting an hour or two of my life in a corner watching everyone else talk about useless nonsense.

I was about to go to the car but I got stopped by Shiloh as he grabbed my hand in a quick greeting.

"I'll see you at the party?" He asked. I had tried to explain to Shiloh that I needed to stay away from him and the others for a while, but he just responded with a, 'We can take care of ourselves,' and then went on to talk about regular things.

"We went to a party last night." I frowned. He stared at me, clearly asking what my point was. I shook my head deciding not to bother with trying to make him understand that there was something wrong with attending too much parties. "Uh, I can't – I'll see." Last night's party had left me almost falling asleep during my exam, I was exhausted. I really didn't want to go to another party; I doubt I'll be a able to stay awake through it. I hoped Clyde didn't know about this one.

"Let me speak to the prick." He frowned, "You're not their fucking pet." He added.

"He's not..." I stopped. Yes, he is a prick. "I'd rather you not, Shiloh. I told you I can handle this and I really don't want to go to a party right now. Besides, they'll probably let me leave now. No school means I can't sell for them, right?" I was just saying that to get him to let it go.

He stared at me before he nodded. "Right... until next semester." He said, "Then they kidnap you again? Threaten you again? You thought about that?" he frowned.

I had not thought about that... What if I was still doing this next semester? What if I did this until I graduated? Oh no.

My eyes moved seeing movement behind Shiloh and I saw Ben glare at me through the gap in his window.

"I have to go. I'll see if I can come by." I said.

"Wait. Alexander." I looked back at Shiloh, "Don't be stupid."

"What?" I asked.

"You're defending him now? You're obviously into him." He hissed, "Alexander, use your head."

"Shiloh, I'm not into him. I have to go."

"You always do this; you always fall for the assholes. That dude in fourth grade, James, this guy –"

"I seriously have to go. I'll see you later."

"I'm telling Claire about it!" he shouted after me. I knew he didn't mean the drugs and everything else. But he was wrong. I wasn't into Sergio. Not that way... I wasn't...

I crossed the street and climbed into the car beside Sergio. I let out another sigh as my heart raced from the run across the road.

No one spoke as Cooper started the car and drove from the school. The only noise was the soft radio.

"Uh..." my voice broke the silence in the car and Sergio looked at me, "Since I can't sell anymore, what exactly do you want me to –" I asked.

"Who says you can't sell anymore?" he asked.

"Well... I'm on break." He stared at me.

"So?"

I opened my mouth to say something but my mind went blank so I just let out a sigh. Sergio smiled and I glared back at him.