Chapter 53.

Chapter 53.

*****

"No matter how many times you read it, it's still going to say the same thing."

"Huh?" the word croaked from my throat as I looked up at Jordan as he walked in before my eyes followed his back to the book in my hands. I cleared my throat. "Oh..." I ran my eyes over the paragraph I had been reading for the past hour and realised I had not actually read a word of it. I had not taken a word in, I was halfway through the book and I had no idea what it was about.

I swallowed as I closed the book and looked at the bed.

He didn't look like himself, his skin looked drained, like he was the victim in a vampire movie. His head was wrapped in bandage and there were tubes everywhere from his nose to his wrist. He looked so vulnerable. His hands were cold when I touched them, they were never cold before. His hair was longer, and he had stubble growing.

A few days ago everyone stayed around here. Now it was just me, David and their mother. Clyde and everyone else had a mess to clean up. David was at the loft right now, I think. His mother was here more than he was. She looked older, much older than she did the last time I saw her, understandably. She doesn't look too messed up, she was trying to look like she was alright, but I could tell that she was terrified. First Anna and now...

I shook my head. He wasn't going to die. He was going to wake up.

The beeps from his heart monitor were the only thing that actually showed that he was still here. I chose not to think about anything other than the fact that he was still alive. So he had to wake up soon.

I might have been being naïve, but I couldn't deal with any other possibility.

The fact that Declan was dead didn't matter much to me right now.

"Alex?" I looked up as Jordan shook my shoulder. I forgot he was there. "Did you hear anything I just said?"

I gave him a look not even trying to hide how tired I was. I really wasn't in the mood for any type of social interaction, even with him. I just wanted to stay here, talk to and watch Sergio until he woke up. I didn't want to talk with anyone. It was so much work...

He gave a sigh shaking his head. He sounded frustrated even though he was trying to hide it. I could tell he was hiding something more.

"What?" I asked softly.

"Come get some lunch with me."

"I'm not hungry." I mumbled.

"You need to eat. I'm not leaving until you do." He said. "We're getting lunch." he said.

I frowned looking back at Sergio. I got up placing my book on the food stand before I followed Jordan out of the room.

We made our way to the cafeteria in silence and he bought food before he handed me a pie. I looked at it before I shook my head.

"I'm really not hungry." I mumbled.

"You are. When was the last time you ate?" he asked. I shrugged glancing at the massive clock that hung on the wall across the room.

"Don't you have a lecture right now?"

"Same as you." He replied.

I shook my head.

"You can't just stop going to school."

"I'll just do this semester next year." I mumbled. "Uh... Thanks for lunch... I'm going back, see you later." I took the pie so he would be quiet about my eating habits, though I had no intention of actually eating it. I just wasn't hungry. He followed me.