Chapter 39.

Chapter 39.

*****

I rushed into the emergency ward's waiting room with Sergio, Clyde and Ben in tow and found Jordan on the floor, he was covered in blood. His parents were on the seats looking broken. Oliver was on the floor beside Jordan. He looked at me glossy-eyed and distraught.

"Oli." I knelt down. He shut his eyes leaning his head back against the wall.

"Ezra." It was muffled because his head was hidden in his arms. I felt my heart stop, a sick feeling rising into my chest.

"What happened – What happened to him?" I asked looking at Jordan.

"He - he got -" he sobbed, "I-It's my fault - I - we were at the park and he - he wanted ice cream, but he wanted to p-play with the other kids so I told him to stay put, it - it was just across the road, I th - I thought I was close by... I was in the store and - and there – there were shots outside -" he broke down.

My blood turned to ice in my veins.

"He... He got... hit?" I whispered. He nodded.

I felt my body weaken and I slumped down beside him, Oliver on his other side. "There were cars firing – probably some fucking gang members. Everyone ran but Ezra was too scared and I- I wasn't there. I - I left him the-there - I -" he sobbed. I opened my mouth but my voice was stuck in my throat.

It was us... it was me... I cleared my throat as I looked down.

I wanted to tell him Ezra would be okay, I wanted to tell myself that but it could be a lie. I opened my mouth and settled for, "It... It's not your fault."

He didn't reply.

I looked down. What have I done?

My throat felt dry, I probably wouldn't have been able to speak even if I wanted to. He had to be okay. He had to.

We waited for hours. We had all gone silent, save from some snivelling from Amy. Sergio had stayed, seated beside me while Clyde and the others waited outside and I felt sicker with every passing second, my head getting light and beginning to hurt. Why was it taking so fucking long?! Why was no one telling us how he was?!

"Ezra Brutes' family?" Jordan and I shot to our feet as his father did when a doctor spoke after he walked in.

"Where is my son? Can I - can I see him?" Mr Brutes stuttered desperately.

"Sir -" the doctor began.

"Where is he?" Jordan cut him off.

"Sir... I need you all to calm down."

"Don't tell me to calm down! Where is he?! Where's my baby?!" Jordan's mom yelled.

The doctor let out a sigh and smiled. "He's stable." Amy let out a breath of relief and Greg pulled her into his arms as she began crying again. "His lung collapsed and we've had to remove the bullet lodged in his shoulder. He's also lost quite a bit of blood. We need to keep monitoring him so we're going to have to keep him here for a couple of weeks, but I'm positive he will make a full recovery."

"Is he awake?" Jordan's dad smiled.

"He won't be for a while." The doctor replied.

I looked at Jordan, he had not moved his head. Oliver gave me a worn out smile.

I reached out and patted his hair softly before I let my arm fall onto Jordan's shoulder.

"J, he's okay." I said. Jordan replied with a shake of his head, but didn't look up.