Chapter 22.

Chapter 22.

*****

I trotted over to the door half asleep as the bell rang again. It had been ringing for the past five minutes and everyone was just ignoring it so I got out of bed to answer it.

I frowned as I pulled the door open, not a very nice greeting but I was really annoyed.

"Who the hell are you?"

Seriously? He came knocking on the door at 4 AM on a Sunday morning and that's what he says to me? I'm the one that lives here. Well, sort of.

"Uhm... I –"

I let out surprised cry when I was shoved from the door. I stumbled before I regained my balance and turned to glare at Ben, but he completely ignored me.

"Vega, what are you doing here?" Ben asked raising his brows.

"I need to see Sergio." The man sounded a little on-edge.

"He's not here – look, are you alone?" Ben stared outside.

"Yes. I, uh, got dropped off and took a few taxis here. Someone's been following me but I'm pretty sure I lost them." Ben's face held a sceptical look as his eyes ran over the street in front of the house. I could tell that he was itching to say something to the guy but I guess this Vega guy was higher ranked in this than he was (like Sergio?), so Ben just nodded.

"Come in," Ben stepped aside and Vega walked in.

He pulled off his coat as Ben shut the door and they made their way across the room. He looked like he was in his late thirties or early forties, like Clyde, except he was covered in tattoos and his head was shaved bald.

My eyes moved to the guns at his waist that glistened in the light of the room and I let out a heavy sigh turning to go back to bed but Ben grabbed my arm.

"Where are you going?"

I had the urge to ask where he thought I was going but I knew it wouldn't end well if I embarrassed him in front of this Vega guy.

"Bed." I said.

"I thought you had an appointment with one of your friends?" Kent's voice came as he walked over to me.

"At four in the morning? No." I sent a slight frown to the Vega guy because he was the reason I was awake and his eyebrows rose. I felt Ben's grip on my arm tighten and I looked back at him. "Can I go?" I asked.

"No, we need some beers."

"Now?" I asked.

"I'll get it." Kent said.

"No, Kent. You have the day off. Alexander's got it covered." My eyes shifted behind Kent to Macen. Oh...

"It's not necess –"

"I said you get the day off." Macen repeated. Kent turned to him, his usually friendly face hardened, but I didn't want him to get in trouble.

"Uh... Kent, it's cool, I..." the words drifted from my mouth as light shone through the windows, "What is tha–" I was cut off by a hard shove having my breath knocked out of me as Kent speared into me which sent us both onto the floor.

I jerked to cover my face and ears as ear-piercing bangs went off while the windows around me shattered and I tried to keep the glass from my eyes.

"Stay down!" Ben's shout filled the room. More bangs before everything went silent except for the ringing in my ears.