Chapter 33.

Chapter 33.

*****

I leaned my head against the window as we drove. It was almost five in the afternoon; Sergio had decided we were leaving before we could have dinner so my stomach was pretty pissed at him. The sun was beginning to set. I had actually had tons of fun today, and I didn't mind having to go home and make something to eat myself since Kent stayed back at the loft. Sergio's mother seemed to like Kent too, I wonder if Sergio noticed? Probably not. He noticed no such thing.

I looked up raising my brows as Sergio parked the car in front of a small bakery in a road full of stores.

"Why did we stop here? Are you planning on selling drugs in cake?" I asked taking in the cosy looking bakery and coffee shop. He chuckled.

"No... I uh... actually, I'm cutting the deal off – or the arrangement, agreement, whatever. You just don't have to sell for me anymore." He said. I sat up straight and looked at him.

"Are you serious?" I asked surprised. He bit his lip and nodded and I felt my heart quicken and fought the thought telling me I should be biting it not him from my mind. "You're saying I'm free?" I asked to clarify. He gave a chuckle and a nod.

"So... you can leave, right now..." I looked around to see if I knew where we were, I did. But I didn't want to leave... "Or... or you can stay and go out with me and then later, I'll drop you off at your apartment."

"Sergio, I am out with you." I frowned glancing at him. He looked away from me and sucked in a breath pursing my lips, it made me want to laugh; he seemed so nervous. He was acting so unlike himself.

"No," he looked at me, "I mean... I mean go OUT with me." He was looking at the steering wheel and not at me as I stared at him shocked while my heart hammered against my chest. Did he really just say that?

"Uh... are... you mean... you're asking me to go on a date with you?" I needed him to clarify.

"Yes." He finally looked at me.

"But – but we said –" I began.

"I know what we said, we already broke relationship grounds and yeah, we agreed we wouldn't FALL IN LOVE with the other person, I'm not in love with you, but don't you think it would be cool if we didn't just talk about drugs and other work when we are around each other?" He asked.

"Oh, you want us to hang out." I felt my heart drop and I cursed at myself internally because I was sure he could hear the disappointment in my voice.

"No, I want us to go on a date." He said.

"You mean... date?" I asked. He let out a frustrated breath.

"Yes. Alexander, a date." He looked annoyed, "Do I need to write this down with a fricking dictionary explanation for you? Which would you prefer? Oxford? Urban?" he tilted his head. Ah, there he is.

"You're an asshole, Sergio." I said seriously.

"And you're an idiot. I still l- like you though." He replied with a smile and I chuckled feeling my heart race. "And I'm going to assume I got a yes."

"You can assume that." I laughed with a nod.

I watched him get out of his car and I followed his lead.

"Hey, where are your guards?" I asked as I walked around the car and onto the sidewalk beside him.

"I told them to go home." He shrugged.

"Isn't that dangerous? For you, I mean." I asked.

"Not really." He brushed his jacket back and I caught a glimpse of the gun at his waist. "So, what do you want to eat?" he smiled at me.