Chapter 54.

Chapter 54.

*****

"Alex," Clyde repeated my name as I began sobbing. I didn't reply and I heard him walk over to me before I felt his hand rub my head as his other hand grabbed my shoulder. "Listen to me, he's okay." I stopped and blinked.

"'Okay'?" I looked at him lifting my arm to wipe my tears. He grinned.

"More than okay; he woke up."

"He woke up?" My voice was mixed with Ben's.

"He woke up." Clyde grinned as he nodded.

I stared at him feeling my heart pond in my chest.

"Really?" I whispered.

"I would not lie to you about this. Really." Clyde said.

I gave a cough of laughter as I ran my hands through my hair. Clyde chuckled as he hugged me.

"I'll lock the safe." Ben said.

I had completely forgotten about that. I nodded before I walked out and Clyde followed me. We drove to the hospital in his car and we ran up to the floor Sergio was on before I stopped and held grabbed Clyde's shoulder to stop him.

"He's okay?" I repeated looking at him.

He looked down the hall towards the waiting room.

"As okay as he can be right now." He said biting his lip.

I frowned looking down the hall before I made my way towards Sergio's room. I stepped in slowly, wondering where his mother was when I found that there was no one but him in the room. I held my breath as I stared at him. His bed was tilted helping him sit up and he was staring towards the window. I gave a squeak of a laugh finally letting myself believe he was awake and his eyes snapped to me. His hand tightened around the bottle of water in his hands.

"Sergio." I smiled as I reached his bed.

He stared at me blankly before he leaned back a little, his arm rising as if he was trying to shield himself.

"Doctor? Nurse?" He asked running his narrowed eyes over me. "You – you're not in uniform..." He mumbled.

I felt my heart sink. No. No. The doctor had said there was a huge possibility that if he woke up he would have some type of brain injury. This wasn't happening. I shook my head.

"Uh – no. I don't work here... I'm-I'm Alex... You know me." I said, my voice laced with the desperation I felt.

He shook his head slowly; he looked confused and a little unsettled by my presence. This couldn't be happening right now. I sank into the chair beside him and leaned my head on the edge of his bed as I felt more tears run down my face. I had never felt the way I had in the past few weeks in my life and every time things seemed to be getting better it would just get worse. It was a terrible rollercoaster. I clenched my fist trying to hold back or at least quieten my sobs.

I froze as I felt his hand run through my hair slowly.

"Alexander, I'm joking." his voice sounded more guilty than amused.

I stopped. Is he fucking serious? I grit my teeth as I wiped my eyes but I didn't look up.

"Alex... Seriously, I'm alright." He gave a nervous laugh, "I know who you are, I love you."

I looked up at him and he bit his lip as he leaned further back from me. He actually looked scared.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't resist... The doctor told me amnesia had been a serious possibility... so I had to..." he mumbled.