Chapter 8.

Chapter 8.

*****

"Where the hell have you been?"

Going to school – despite it being as massive as it was – meant running into my friends at sometime no matter how hard I was trying to avoid them; that time happened to be today. Personally, I'm proud of myself, I had managed to avoid them for eight days before now. I used to suck at hide and seek...

"Hey, Claire. Is your hair curlier?" I smiled at her.

"Don't give me that crap." She glared at me and I shrunk back slightly and looked at Shiloh for help. He smirked, clearly happy at my position.

"Okay – okay – I told Jordan to tell you –"

"And now you will tell Jordan." Ah, geez... I smiled as Jordan frowned at me from beside Claire. "You know our house got broken into last week?" he asked.

"What?" I faked shock.

"Yeah, they pretty much emptied it out. Our TV, play station, fricking grill, who the hell steals a grill?! Even your closet, bastards must have been the same size as you." He grit his teeth.

Emptied it out? Those jerks...

"Where the hell have you been?" he asked the same question Claire just had.

"A friend. He's having serious health problems so I just have to... take care of him and his daughter, she's four and he can't even walk right now." I said.

"Nice story but –" Shiloh's hand fell on my shoulder as he stepped in front of me so we were at eye-level, "You have no friends we don't know about and your lying sucks. I'm still surprised you're becoming an attorney."

I sighed defeated as I pursed my lips. I was used to my friends' teasing about my choice of profession. "Fine... I can't really tell you..." I couldn't drag them into it, and really, I did not want them to know anything. I mean, 'Hey, I killed someone and now some criminals are threatening me to make me sell drugs for them' didn't make me look too good.

"You can't tell us?" Claire sounded hurt.

"Yeah... I just need you to trust me right now." I said.

"Fine." She smiled. I smiled as I hugged her before my eyes widened when I saw marks on her shoulder.

"So what's his name?" I smirked as I stood back. She seemed confused before she gasped and pulled her collar over the spot on her shoulder.

"Who? I- I don' know what you're talking about – there – there is no him." She stuttered not looking at me.

"Shiloh, help me out –" my mouth dropped open as I saw him swallow and look at the cars, "Oh – oh my God!" I exclaimed, "I'm gone for a week and you two hook up?!"

"Uh, you weren't gone for a week, I saw you run the other way in the hall a few days ago." Claire glared at me. I gave her a guilty smile.

"Still, you two?" I asked shocked.

"Yeah, pay up." I frowned at Jordan but reached into my pocket and handed him ten.

"You bet on us? Really?" Shiloh gave me a pointed glare.

"Technically I bet against you, some friends you are making me lose money..." I muttered before I laughed as Claire smacked my chest, "I'm joking! I mean... this is weird but I could see how you two would... no, actually, I can't." Jordan and Shiloh laughed as I got another smack from her.