Chapter 42.

Chapter 42.

*****

"Where are you headed?" Jordan asked as he drove. We had just left the hospital because the end of visiting hours forced us to.

It had been a few days and Ezra was recovering really well. It still hurt to move his arm, but he could move it and we were all really happy about that. We had even managed to sneak in that chocolate he wanted, though from the glare we got from Dr Keith (Matthew) this morning, we didn't do that great of a job 'sneaking' it in.

"Sergio." I said, my tone implying that he already knew that.

"I know, I mean WHERE." he said glancing from the road to me.

I snorted.

"Suit yourself. I'll drive us to Claire's. Her parents are home and we haven't seen them in forever."

"Come on, Jordan." I frowned. Claire's mom really liked having us over.

Shiloh grew on her but she always liked Jordan and I. Maybe because she could tell Shiloh would eventually end up with her daughter. The thing was that once we visited, it would be considered rude for us to leave less than a couple of hours later. I loved them, so I didn't mind – well, actually, I did. Claire's father had a weird obsession with scents and her house smelt like a lot of different things when he was experimenting – which was almost always unless his wife yelled at him to stop, pretty much never because she liked the new scents he created. It usually smelt nice but it was too much to bear.

"Where?" he repeated.

"Why?" I asked.

"I would like to know where to start looking if you go missing." he said with a smirk. I rolled my eyes and told him where the house was. "Damn. Criminals make money..." he muttered as he stopped my car in front of Claire's house.

"Hey, I told you where the place is!" I shot him a glare and he laughed.

"I'll tell them you have work and that you'll come by in a couple of hours." He said tossing me the keys after our greeting handshake before he climbed out and shook his head at me when instead of going around the car I just climbed over to the driver's seat.

"Or you could just tell them the truth." I said.

"That you're hooking up with a gang leader?" I frowned at him, "Yeah, I thought so."

I flipped him off and he laughed as I started the car and drove away from him chuckling.

-----

I glanced around as I climbed out of my car and locked it before I ran my hand from the roof to the hood praying no one would drive by and shoot at it. I noticed Clyde's car parked beside mine and made my way across the lawn, my eyes still darting. This place made me paranoid, rightfully so. I entered the house without knocking and grinned at Ben who had just walked into the lounge; he turned around and walked out again. I laughed.

I looked at the couches and began to ask the couple of men that were seated there and sorting what looked like bags of drugs but I stopped when I remembered Kent worked there.

I ignored them and made my way to the kitchen.

"Hey!"

"Alex, hey kiddo." I frowned as he hugged me. He pulled back as his smile fell, "I heard about your friend, the kid. Is he alright?"

"He's doing really good." I smiled. "I hope you are too."

"I haven't been caught in anything lately." he said before he chuckled, "I have been talking to her more." He said.