33. I'm here for you

LOUIS

While Louis drove to Niall's flat to go pick up Milo, he thought about what he was going to say to his friend.

Or more accurately, how he was going to say it.

Should he just say it bluntly?

Or should he slowly lead the conversation up to it, and give Niall the opportunity to open up about it?

He didn't want to ambush Niall with the topic, but at the same time, his friend had had plenty of occasions to say something, but he hadn't, so maybe it was best to just cut to the chase.

By the time he arrived there, he hadn't made up his mind, so he decided he was just going to have to play it out as it went, and hope for the best.

He parked the car outside the building, and headed upstairs to his friend's flat, and he rang the doorbell.

"Hey" Niall smiled at him, when he opened the door.

"Hey, how was Milo?" Louis asked walking in the flat "Did he give you any trouble?".

"No, he was good" Niall answered while he closed the door.

Louis saw Milo sitting on a blanket in the middle of the living room, sucking on his dummy and playing with his blocks, so he walked there, and sat down next to him.

"Hi, baby boy" Louis cooed at Milo, and kissed his head.

Milo looked up at him, and offered him a block with his tiny hand.

"Oh, thank you, that's so nice of you" Louis smiled.

"So how was the appointment?" Niall wondered, as he sat down on the couch.

"Great, the doctor did an ultrasound and the baby's doing perfect" Louis replied.

"Did they give you pictures?" questioned Niall.

"Yeah, but Harry took them with him" Louis lied.

Harry had only some of the pictures with him, and he had left the rest in the glove compartment before he got out of the car. But because they had decided not to tell anyone about the twins, he needed to lie, because even the pictures of each baby alone revealed the fact that they were two, because in the border it said "Baby A" or "Baby B".

"That's alright, it's still probably just a blob, right?" Niall asked.

"Not really, I'm 9 weeks along, so at this stage, if you look closely, you can distinguish the head, the arms and the legs" Louis explained.

"Oh, right" Niall nodded.

For less than a second Louis thought about bringing up the subject then, but then he decided to wait, and prepare the ground a little.

"So what have you been up to these past few days, we haven't seen you" Louis said casually as he helped Milo pile his blocks.

"Nothing much, really" Niall shrugged "I've just stayed here, played some FIFA, watched Netflix, that kind of thing".

"That's kind of boring for spring break" Louis commented.

"There's not many people who stayed to go out with, and you and Harry have been busy with the wedding planning" explained Niall "And Liam went home, and I couldn't exactly go with him".

"I know, but then why didn't you go home?" Louis asked, he had never really asked.

"I didn't feel like it" Niall shrugged.

"But you always want to go back to Ireland" Louis fought.

"Not this time" Niall said vaguely.

"I thought you were even going to go last week" Louis said, just as Milo started to crawl away from him, but he stopped him.