♫24♫ You Are Unbelievable

Chapter Twenty-Four

You Are Unbelievable

I took a chance… I took a shot…And you might think I’m bulletproof, but I’m not. You took a swing…I took it hard…And down here from the ground I see who you are,” I sang, as I strummed the strings of my guitar.

I sat alone in the flower garden that Sterling had showed me a few days back and I was sitting here, trying to clear my mind of the events that had occurred to me over the past few hours. It was only eight at night but I felt as if it was later than that. I didn’t feel alive, I felt dead. I felt as if I was trapped in some sort of a romantic TV drama where the character is in love with one boy, but another boy ends up having feelings for her as well.

Except the worst part about this was that this wasn’t a TV show—this was real life.

And it was happening to me.

I'm sick and tired of your attitude…I'm feeling like I don't know you. You tell me that you love me then you cut me down. And I need you like a heartbeat…But you know you got a mean streak…Makes me run for cover when you're around. And here's to you and your temper, yes, I remember what you said last night. And I know that you see what you're doing to me; tell me why…” I moved my fingers so that they were touching the chadd9 string and then strummed the next verse.

I have no idea why I’m singing, but every time I’m sad or confused, I’d find myself singing. It helps clear my mind of things and for a second, I feel as if I’m in another world; just me and my music and nothing else. It’s the most amazing feeling in the world.

You could write a book on how to ruin someone's perfect day. Well I get so confused and frustrated…Forget what I’m trying to say, oh…

“Juliet!”

I stopped strumming and looked up to see who it was.

Sterling.

“Sterling?” I asked, as I hastily wiped away the tears from my face.

“I saw you running out and I wanted to check and see if you were alright?”

“How did you know I was here?” I asked, sniffling.

“A lucky guess?” he asked, as he sat down next to me. “Are you okay? Did you and Carson get into another fight?” He looked worriedly at me.

I know he meant well, but suddenly, I felt a rush of anger flow through me.

I was mad; mad at the fact that Sterling kept sending me mixed signals and mad at the fact that Carson had to make everything so complicated.

I shook my head as I tried to keep my anger in check.

“What happened?”

“I don’t really want to talk about it,” I said, as I set my guitar aside. I tucked my legs under my chin and stared furiously at a butterfly that was hovering above a stargazer lily.

Ugh, why couldn’t I have come into this world as a freaking butterfly? Because at least I wouldn’t have to deal with boy drama or love or breaking someone’s heart.

“I understand.”

Suddenly, without meaning to, I asked, “Why didn’t you ask me out?” I immediately regretted asking him that for as soon as I said it, I quickly clamped my mouth shut. I felt blood surge up my cheeks as I quickly looked anywhere but at Sterling.

“I…what?”

“Forget it,” I said. “It just slipped.”

I hate how anger makes you say stupidly embarrassing things.