♫33♫ And That's The Way I Love You

Chapter Thirty-Three

And That’s The Way I Love You

My friends were long asleep before I quietly slipped out of my room and headed downstairs, guitar and phone in hand.

There was approximately twelve hours left before the competition began and a good twelve hours left of my time here. I haven’t told my friends yet about my leaving the competition. I want to leave without their notice, or else they’d make me feel even guiltier than I already am. I think I’ll write them a note instead, so that they won’t wake up worrying about me.

Now you may be wondering why I have a guitar in my hands, along with a phone.

Well it’s pretty simple. I sorta wanted to leave a message behind for Carson. I mean, it’d probably be the last I’d ever see him again and I wanted to tell him one last thing before I was gone for good.

Sterling’s still ignoring me, and I can’t blame him. Hopefully he won’t hate me as much as he does after he’s heard my song.

I quietly slipped into the lounge (no one was in here, I mean come on, it’s one in the morning) and then I took a seat at the farthest corner of the room.

I propped my phone up on the coffee table in front of me and then quietly sat down on an armchair across from it. I carefully adjusted my iPhone so that the camera would show my face entirely and then I strummed a random chord on the guitar to make sure it was tuned correctly.

I then hit the ‘record’ button and gazed into the camera.

“Hey Carson…uh…” Damn, how should I start this goodbye speech? I spent like an hour practicing yesterday on what I was going to say, but I guess I’m so nervous right now that I’m forgetting things. “Well I’m leaving tomorrow—well actually, you probably wouldn’t really care.” I smiled wistfully into the camera. “But…I did kinda want to say goodbye to you before I left. It’d be a shame if I didn’t get to say goodbye to that ugly face of yours—I’d probably regret it later on.” I bit my lower lip as I thought about what I should say next. I felt tears prickling my eyes. “Anyways, I wanted to share something with you…just kind of…” I sighed when I realized I couldn’t come up with the correct words on what I was about to do. I smiled sadly into the camera instead as I said, “You’ll find out soon enough.”

I moved my fingers a little bit upwards from the edge of the guitar neck so that they were touching the D-chord of the guitar and then I strummed the chord with my left hand. Then, I immediately moved on to the A-chord, strummed that once, then proceeded to the Em- and G-chords before repeating it again. My fingers roamed over to the A-chord again and then the D-chord as I found my voice and sang, “He is sensible and so incredible and all my single friends are jealous…He says everything I need to hear and it’s like I couldn’t ask for anything better. He opens up my door and I run into his arms and he says, ‘You look beautiful tonight’…and I feel perfectly fine, but I’ve been screaming and crying and feeling my heart break and it’s one am and I’m cursing your name. I’m so in love that I act insane and that’s the way I love you. Breakin’ down and coming undone; it’s a rollercoaster kinda rush and I never knew I could feel that much and that’s the way I love you…

I felt a tear slip down my cheek and I hastily wiped it away with my shoulder, as I tried my best to not disrupt the flow of the music. “He respects my space and never makes me wait, and he texts exactly when he says he will…He's close to my friends and treats me like a Princess; he's charming and endearing and I'm comfortable…but I’ve been screaming and crying and feeling my heart break and it’s one am and I’m cursing your name. I’m so in love that I act insane and that’s the way I love you. Breakin’ down and coming undone; it’s a rollercoaster kinda rush and I never knew I could feel that much and that’s the way I love you…” I moved my fingers up to the Em-chord and I felt my heart clench with all the emotions I was feeling: I felt confused and sad and defeated; I felt terribly alone and unwanted.