♫44♫ Like It Or Not, We've Made Some Fond Memories

Chapter Forty-Four

Like It Or Not, We’ve Made Some Fond Memories

Our love runs deep like a Chevy: If you fall I'll fall with you baby. ‘Cause that's the way we like to do it…That's the way we like. You run around open doors like a gentleman. Tell me girl every day you're my everything…‘Cause that's the way you like to do it; that's the way you like…” I strummed the A-chord on my guitar and then, “Just a little West Coast, and a bit of sunshine. Hair blowing in the wind, losing track of time…Just you and I, just you and I…Woah, woah. No matter how far we go, I want the whole world to know: I want you bad, and I won’t have it any other way. No matter what the people say, I know that we'll never break. ‘Cause our love was made, made in the USA…Made in the USA, yeah…

Lola started in with the drum beat and I quickly sang the next verse of the song. Today was the day of the competition and my band mates and I were totally ready to kick some ass. I was smiling like crazy throughout my performance—which totally fit the song, because in my opinion, the song was supposed to be happy and upbeat, not sad and melancholic.

Yesterday, upon returning home from Carson and mine’s date, Hyde had caught us with linked hands in the hallway.

To say he was surprised was a bit of an understatement. He was pretty confused because he thought we hated each other to our guts, but after a few explanations, he cooled down and congratulated us on our relationship together—bipolar much?

Anyways, so now our relationship is out in the open—all of our friends know about it. I would’ve thought Sterling would’ve been hurt in some way, but he wasn’t. In fact, our relationship couldn’t have been any better.

Sure there was a history between us, but that didn’t stop us from becoming good friends. I think all this time, we were only meant to be friends rather than lovers.

You always reading my mind like a letter. When I'm cold, you're there like a sweater…‘Cause that's the way we like to do it…That's the way we like—And never ever let the world get the best of you: Every night we're apart, I'm still next to you. ‘Cause that's the way I like to do it…That's the way I like…We touch down on the east coast, dinner in the sky rise, winter is the best time for walking in the city lights…You and I, you and I! Woah, woah!” I strummed to the next chord and started on the chorus.

The winner was going to be announced three hours after the competition. Before my band and I had gotten onto the stage to perform, Jennifer had come to find us and wish us good luck. She apparently didn’t make it past round three, because she told me she was here on a visit.

She congratulated me on my relationship with Carson and how happy she was about it. She told me Harrison had told her all about me and after exchanging numbers and promising to keep in contact, my band and I ended up going onstage to perform.

Made in the U.S.A…” I finished the song and then stopped strumming my guitar. I turned around and beamed at my friends. “We did it!” I mouthed to them.

Kale gave me a thumbs-up and I smiled before turning back to the judges. I suddenly realized the host of the show was standing beside me and that he had just finished talking about something, but I wasn’t really listening. Instead, I was focused in on the judges’ outfits. They all had really fancy clothes on. For instance, Alex and Jasper had on luxurious-looking black tuxedos while Georgette had on a fancy red-laced mermaid gown.

 I, on the other hand, wore a simple cocktail dress: It stopped a few inches above my knees and the skirt was made of a sheer fabric. The upper part of the dress was shaped like a heart and was white with black-laced designs decorating the sides of it.