6 - Where to start?

It was Monday. My second week in London and the day I started at the university. The rest of last week, I spent the days discovering more of London. I went to Oxford Street and Chinatown for a start. I also saw Benedict once more. It was on Friday at North Gower Street. He was quite busy filming after the day we went to Hyde Park. He kept asking if I was okay over texts messages. You know, after I told him about my father, and this morning I got a "good luck" message from him. He's such a kind and caring man.

The university started at 8.30am so I did have some time to get ready. I chose black jeans and a light grey, thin jumper with sleeves that reached down to my elbows. It went diagonally across my collarbone so that my right shoulder was visible. As a pair of shoes, I picked out my white converse. I also wore a ring on one hand and two on the other. I always have those on me. They were a gift from my mother for my 18 years birthday. Before I left I grabbed my black leather jacket.

I had chosen to have my hair loose, and my curls danced around me as I made my way to my class. I had a black bag hanging over my left shoulder, containing my pencils, calendar book, wallet, phone, water bottle, my usual sketching book and a notebook. We get food at the university in the cafeteria so I didn't bother to bring food with me.

I had a pretty good feeling about starting at uni and I was excited to get started. Each class consisted of approximately 15 students. It wasn't like high school. There wasn't a schedule to follow like you have that subject in the morning, then you have to move to another classroom to have another subject and so on. It was more 'free' and up to ourselves. However, every day in three hours, we would have a mandatory class. It was from 9am to 12am.

The university was huge and it was easily to get lost if you wasn't familiar where the corridors led. Luckily, I found the right way and when I entered the classroom, there were ten other students in there. I found an available seat next to the window. The other people greeted me and told me their names. They seemed nice and I got in a conversation with the girl sitting to my right – it was single seats, not double.

Her name was Amy and she lived near the university so she stayed home and not in the student housing. She had short, light brown hair and a few freckles in her face. As we shared some light details about our lives, a boy entered the room.

"Hey, Simon! Come over here," Amy told him. He sat down at the free table in front of me.

"Simon, this is Clary. She's from New York," Amy continued.

Simon reached out his hand and I took it.

"Nice to meet you, Clary," he said.

"Same, Simon," I responded.

"Okay, class! Welcome to Camberwell College of Arts. My name is Miss Inés, I'm form Spain, but I've lived in London for 10 years. I'm looking forward to this year with you and to see you develop your art. I thought that first you could tell us a bit about yourselves and why you chose our university and also tell me your favourite places," Miss Inés spoke.

And so we did. Many of us had different favourite places; Miami, Paris, the wild Africa, Spain, London, etc.

Miss Inés explained to us the reason why we should tell her that. It was because during this year, it should inspire us and we should take something that our favourite place had to offer into our art. The other big project we got were to draw or paint a person that's important to us and has somehow helped us in our lives.

The rest of the hours, we spent getting to know each other and to start with ideas to our two projects. Me, Amy and Simon went to the library to use the computers there. I left mine in my room because I didn't know that I would need it the first day.

"So what are you gonna draw from Paris? The Eiffel tower?" I asked Simon.

"Hm, maybe. I have to do some research first but I have an idea. What about you? What's your biggest inspiration from London?" he asked.

We sat with a table, Amy and me at one computer while Simon was cleaver enough to bring his own.

"There's so much to choose and so many ways to put it together. It will take a while before I'll get satisfied with one idea, I think. But I also have ideas," I told him.

The hours pasted quickly and before we knew it, it was almost 12.45pm.

"Oh, is it that much? I have to go. It's my mom's birthday and I need to help with cleaning and the food. I'm glad I met you, Clary. We'll see each other tomorrow," Amy said and left.

"Are you going too?" I asked Simon as he started to pack his things.

"Yeah, I agreed to meet up with some friends. We are going over to do boy stuff," he said with a funny tone when he said 'boy stuff'.

I chuckled. "What? Like videogames, driving cars and talking about girls?" I asked teasing.

"I guess that's one way to describe it," he laughed. "See you tomorrow," he said and left as well.

-----------------------------------

Later on, I took the underground, came up from Tottenham Court Road Station and walked down Charing Cross Road. There I found a bookstore, called Foyles. I loved bookstores and this one was extraordinary.

It was huge! Three whole floors. It wouldn't hurt if New York got one of those. However, I was going to stay here for three years so there's no hurry.

I took my time wandering around among the amount of books. It sure was a great place to be. So many stories just waiting to be read by hopeful people who wonder if the books will live up to their expectations. I think there are many ways to read and understand a book. It's just a matter of perspective.

As I explored the store, I found some sketching books. I knew I needed, or more precisely, I wanted a new one. One special where I could put all my London drawings, as I like to call them. I chose a simple A4 sketching book and grabbed some pencils along the way.

On the top floor, they had some biography books, and as I was looking, I found Benedict and Martin in one of the bookshelves. The books, not them, but biographies about them.

I picked them up and read the description on the back. They sounded very good, but should I get them? I have met them both, but I've wanted to read them for a while.

I made up my mind and bought the book about Benedict as well. I was on my way back to the student housing when I noticed a lovely café. There was an available seat outside the front doors and I hung my bag over the chair and sat down.

A waiter came out not long after.

"Good day, anything you wish to order?" she asked.

"Ehm, yes, I'd like a milkshake, strawberries," I told her and she went inside again.

I took up my new sketchbook, placed it on the table and opened it to the first, blank page. Holding the pencil in my hand, I said to myself, "Where to start?"