Chapter 10:

We sit there, in complete silence- well besides crying. Both Harry and I have wiped our tears, trying to look strong in front of Scarlette. Harrys literally about to barge into the room when the stubby nurse wobbles over and directs us over.

"You guys can go in, I recommend letting the parents go in first before all of you,"

She announces, opening the door. We nod, Harry locking our hands as we enter. The room smells of sanitation, something Scarr has always hated. Then I see her, in her small hospital gown looking normal. Her eyes brighten up when she sees us, sitting up in her bed quickly.

"Mommy! Daddy! Why haven't I been able to see y'all? They did lots of tests that hurt and I don't know if I passed. They looked disappointed, I must have failed!"

She rambles quickly in one breath. Her dimples are showing and her eyes are full of life though her arms have wires in certain places. For the first time since this morning, Harry and I laugh. Not a big laugh, but its still a laugh. But she looks sad that she failed a "test". She's an overachiever like me, a perfectionist.

"Baby girl, we have to tell you something, and we need you to listen carefully,"

Harry says, pulling a chair from the corner up to her bed. His demeanor turning serious. Her eyebrows furry, looking confused but nods. He places his large hand on hers.

"You're very sick, Scarr. We need you to fight off this disease so you can get all better. But don't worry, mommy and I will be right next to you the whole time,"

Harry explains, putting it into simpler terms. She considers this, licking her lips.

"is it called cancer? Because I heard that's what I have and I don't want that because I heard people die of that!"

She rambles again, her eyes welling up with tears threatening to spill. I gulp, taking a deep breath.

"Yes sweetheart, it is. But you aren't going to die because you're a fighter and if you fight it, God will help you,"

I force a smile, just mentioning God boosting my courage. A memory verse rises to my head.

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me, remember?"

I add, grinning into her bright blue eyes. Suddenly her face brightens with a smile,

"I'll fight my best because I know I can win with Jesus fighting with me!"

Harry reaches for his neck, slipping off his favorite cross necklace and tying it around her neck.

"When you have this, you'll know for sure you're safe and sound,"

He mumbles as he sits back to observe.

"I love it, daddy. Thank you!"

She smiles widely before the other boys pile in, shouting chants of nicknames at her.