Chapter 33:

The room is quiet, absolute dead silence except the sound of hearts breaking. Scarlette lies pale, struggling to keep her eyes open, sprawled on the bed. Her tiny figure shriveled and clinging to life

•• Flashback •••

"What should we name her?" Harry asks, grinning from ear to ear at the baby girl lying in my arms. Her bright blue eyes have an untold story burried inside of them, a beautiful life that's ready to be told. She blinks, a tiny tongue sticking out of her mouth and earning a giggle from Harry and I. She looks around the newly found world, examining everything. The blanket wrapped around her for protection and warmth, keeping her safe from the new world. The blanket is a Scarlet color, beautiful actually. So soft and gentle, like her eyes.

"Scarlet," I say to Harry, "But with two r's and an e. I want it to be different. Special." I add.

"That's a beautiful name. Do you like that name, Scarlette?" He smiles widely, causing her to giggle.

"I guess that's a yes!" I smile back. So much life, how gorgeous she'll be. I place a small kiss on her forehead.

"I'll keep you safe," I mumble through the kiss.

••

I grip her tiny, cold hand tightly while Harry does the same with the other hand. Its at least 1:50AM. Her little blue eyes, now grey and lifeless. Her personality is basically dead. Its like cancer sucked the life out of her. We've already said our goodbyes and we all know its about time. I think Harry and I are out of tears and wont be crying the last few minutes of Scarlettes life.

I pick up my guitar from the stand, strumming the strings to Safe and Sound. Her favorite.

"Just close your eyes

the sun is going down

you'll be alright

no one can hurt you now,

Come morning light

you and I will be safe and sound"

I sing softly, Harry softly humming along. His hand brushes over her face as she intently watches me. A smile crosses her face, before her head softly falls down onto the pillow. Harrys hand closes her eyeslids, kissing her forehead before looking at me with pain written deep in his eyes. I sing the last line quietly, a few teardrops hitting the strings.

..

..

"She's gone"