Chapter 19: Double Trouble

* Sam’s POV *

“Hey Jai, can we talk?”

“Sure.” He replied, though his mind wandered off watching Andi’s retreating figure as she left us.

“Do you think we can hang out for a bit?”

“Where do you wanna go?” I think the reason why he said yes now because maybe he thinks he owes me from last time. I was the one who got him and Andi back in a great state.

“Anywhere…”

“You wanna go to the mall for a bit?”

“Sure.” I agreed.

We bid our goodbyes to everyone and I told Kaity and Julie to prepare and tell me where I should go later for the slumber party. It was still early and I still have some time to chill with Jai. We took a cab to go to Highpoint. It was quiet for a bit, kind of awkward if you ask me. Music was playing in the background while I opened up a small conversation to shoo away that awkward silence.

“So, how’s your day?”

“It was good. I went to the gym with Beau.” To be honest, it sounded like a question and answer portion.

“Cool, what kind of exercise did you have today?” I wasn’t really into gym and exercise so I didn’t have any idea what I was talking about.

“The usual, bench press and stuff.”

“Oh I see.” I sighed. This isn’t going anywhere, but I still continued on with the conversation, hoping he would share some stories. “So, how was Sydney?”

“It was great. We had a few meetings, but also had time to roam around.”

“That’s cool. I’m so glad you guys are getting bigger.” I commented, cheerfully.

“Thanks! We’re pretty excited!”

The cab driver stopped in an unloading spot and we didn’t realize we have arrived at the mall.

“We’re here.” Jai uttered.

“Yeah.” I sighed again.

He was reaching for his pocket to pay for the cab but I insisted to pay for it since I was the one who asked to hang out.

“Fine, but I’ll pay for the food.” He bargained. At least, he was a gentleman, despite feeling unwanted. We went to Subway and each ordered a sandwich. He got a tuna one, while I got the Turkey one. We sat down on the table and enjoyed our food.

“Well, the reason I actually asked you to hang out was because I wanted to tell you something.” I said, and mentally slapped my head. Of course, that was something given and I hated how I sounded stupid. I know he must be thinking that I wanted to talk to him which I why I invited him to go out and I’m debating in my head again so I think I better stop with arguing with myself.

 I finally have gotten the courage to start on with the conversation. I was here for one reason and I want to get my answer. I was brave enough to do this.

“What’s that?” He asked as he opened his sandwich about to take a bite.

“Okay, I don’t know where to start and I don’t know what you’ll say but I want to tell you that I think that I love you.”

He was quiet. He placed his tuna sandwich down on top of the wrapper and hesitated for a bit. “Wow… I don’t know what to say.”

He was surprised. I was actually surprised because the last time I called him was when Andi and I were in the detention and we were talking about him and I told Andi out loud I was in love with Jai. I guess he wasn’t interested in what I said or was just focused on Andi too much.