Chapter 26: Is Love Enough?

* Jai’s POV *

They do say when something good happens, someone or something will ruin it the next moment. Andrea makes me happy. She’s my best friend but I love her more than that. I can say she’s the first girl I was seriously in love with, but things aren’t easy. Love ain’t easy. I had to share her with my twin brother, Luke.

If there’s one thing I regret in life, it’s when I backed off during the first few months I’ve known Andi. I love her then but I didn’t say anything because I thought it would be too fast. I didn’t expect her to fall in love with Luke. I didn’t even know that they would have enough time to talk and be in love with each other because I have always made sure I was with her. I didn’t know love then had to be measured by time you fall in love with. If I had said anything, then maybe we didn’t have a problem now.

I didn’t expect my mum to be on Luke’s side. I love her too. I love Andi so much it hurts. But mum wants me to back off for Luke and be with someone else. I can’t just force something out. That’s not love. That’s not me.

Mum was right though. Luke hasn’t been the same when they broke up. Andi isn’t the same either. I feel like something’s wrong. I feel like I’m still not good enough for her. I feel like this stupid second in her heart.

 When Andi and I broke up, she went away. She didn’t do anything drastic. But when Luke broke up with her, she drank alcohol even though she knows she’s allergic. She didn’t care what happens to her. I feel like she’s just with me now because it was me who told them I’d go back and get her if Luke hurts her. And I’m here… in my room with no one.

I just got home from Andi’s house. I forgot to call her I was home like she usually asks me to. I took a deep breath and rang her up. After the 3rd ring, she answered.

“Hey Jai, are you home safely?” She asked.

I sighed. “Yeah.”

“Aww what’s wrong? You sound sad.” She commented and I was about to cry. My voice was changing.

“I guess I’m just tired.”

“Well you better get some sleep.” She suggested.

“Yeah.”

“Are you sure you’re alright? Do you want to talk about it?” She asked again.

“Just sleep, Andrea. Goodnight.” I hang up, not even waiting for her reply. I was still pissed off. 

I went to wipe my tears away and went to the bathroom. On my way, I saw there was still light at the lounge room and saw mum.

“I’m sorry, mum.”

She went to hug me and said, “No, I’m sorry.” She kissed me goodnight and went to her room where Luke was as I headed to the bathroom to freshen up before going to bed.

It wasn’t easy to sleep when you have a lot of things in mind. I kept tossing and turning around my bed. I even tried on watching some TV but no use. I had my earphones on and listened to some calming music until I fell asleep. I didn’t notice the time. Someone came in the room and checked if I was sleeping. I didn’t mind though because she was trailing her hands in my hair and it helps me sleep. I didn’t want to open my eyes yet. It stopped for awhile and saw a shadow of her sitting on the foot of my bed. This doesn’t look like mum.

I opened my eyes and saw Andi. “Good morning! I didn’t mean to wake you up.” She greeted.

“What are you doing here?” I was kind of disoriented.