12~

They reached the side of the cave. Marcrya felt Gildgreev's body tense up. Marcrya herself swallowed a lump in her throat. "U-um... hello?" She called out. A soft yet terrifying roar came from the cave as the dragon stepped out. Marcrya studied the dragon and saw that it had dark red scales with deep purple-black scales as a secondary coloring. Once again, the dragon glared at the two. Marcrya felt her mouth become dry as she spoke. "I-I'm Marcrya from the North Woodlands. I wanted permission to pass." She said. "You will stay away from this cave!" The dragon's voice boomed. Gildgreev flew back slightly. "U-um... we'll stay away from it, but we just need to pass." She tried again. The dragon spread its wings out as if to threaten them. "You shall not pass!" It said, breathing out a fiery breath. Gildgreev maneuvered out of the way and back onto the ground. Marcrya frowned. "This is quite the situation." Said Gildgreev. Marcrya may have looked saddened, and nervous, but she still didn't give up. "I don't understand. Why can't we pass? We're not going to go in the cave or anything." She said, frustration creeping in her voice. Gildgreev looked lost in thought. Marcrya looked around the huge mountain and inspected it. "Well," started Gildgreev, breaking the silence, "I've got a few reasons why, but I think it's because that dragon has eggs or hatchlings inside that cave." Marcrya snapped her attention to Gildgreev. "But, what does that have to do with us passing by?" She asked. "Marcrya, you do realize that you're human, right?" He said. Marcrya looked stunned. "What? But, Gildgreev, I'm not like a human." She said. "I know, but that dragon doesn't know, and even when you're not like them, you are still considered one of them." Gildgreev said. Marcrya looked to the ground. Tears were forming in her eyes. Gildgreev was stunned. "It doesn't matter what I do. I'm always considered a human." Marcrya said. "It's not fair. I HATE HUMANS! I HATE THEM! I WILL NEVER BE THEM!" She said, running off. Gildgreev snapped out of his stunned expression. "Marcrya! Wait!" He cried, chasing after her. Marcrya had ran a long way. Tears streaming from her eyes and down her cheeks. It soon grew dark and she had tripped. She looked back and saw four golden eyes stalking her. "Little beast?" It said. "Zhuu!" Marcrya cried, getting up. Zhuu walked forward as Marcrya ran to him and hugged him. "Why are you crying?" Asked the goat head of Zhuu. "Zhuu, a-am I human?" She asked. The goat and lion head looked a bit shocked and concerned. The tail-snake only hissed. "Well, are you?" The lion head asked. Marcrya found herself thinking about questions. Questions she'd never thought about before. "I... I don't know." She said. Zhuu smiled. "Humans are violent and scary. They hurt the ones I love." Marcrya said. "I don't want to be one of them. I hate them." Zhuu closed all his eyes. "You're not like them, but you are one of them." They said. "That's what Gildgreev said." Marcrya said. "Because it's true. The most amazing thing is knowing that you, a human, cares for us beasts like no other humans. You are human, but not only that. You are also a beast." Zhuu said.