Prince Charming

I finally get to the café where Mary Margaret is waiting. I walk in and wave at Mary Margaret but she is too busy staring dreamily at a guy who is at the counter ordering a drink.

  "Two coffees please," The man, who my best friend seems to be infatuated with, says. "What names should I put?" The barista asks picking up two cups. "Nolan and Jones," The man says. He turns and walks towards the edge of the counter to wait for his drinks. He turns around all the way and leans against the counter, crossing his arms lazily. Now I see why Mary Margaret is so obsessed with him. He is perfect, with short dirty blonde hair and bright blue eyes. Clearly the type of man that walks with a line of women trailing him at all times and a trail of broken hearts just as long. 

  He catches me staring and winks. I roll my eyes and walk towards Mary Margaret and take a seat huffing. "You will not believe what just happened on my way here," I say but Mary Margaret is still staring at "Prince Charming". I look over at him again annoyed that he is taking all of her attention. Just as I look over, the barista calls out "Two coffees for Nolan and Jones". The man turns, grabs his coffee, and before walking out of the store smiles at Mary Margaret, clearly not oblivious to the fact that she has been drooling over him since the moment he came in.  After he leaves the store I turn my attention back to my dreadfully love-sick best friend.

 "Mary Margeret!" I say half whispering half yelling. "You were practically drooling over that guy. Who is he anyways?". She shakes her head as if just waking up from a dream. "Oh no one," she says quietly, blushing. Mary Margaret is a nice, polite elementary school teacher. She is basically the opposite of me but we still get along really well.

  "Bullshit," I say, calling her out. She gives me a sharp look like she does every time I curse. I roll my eyes and rephrase what I was going to say "You know how you were looking at him right? Like it was love at first sight and there was nobody else in the whole world" I say answering my own question. "Maybe it was," she says hopefully, looking down. I nod "whatever you say". She looks at me again and says "just because you don't believe in love does not mean all of us can't". I shake my head "I think love exists. I also know lying, cheating bastards exist too." She shakes her head "He's not like that". I could argue more and bring up the fact that he checked out every girl in the whole cafe before leaving or even the fact that she has never even spoken to him. However, given the fact I have not had any coffee yet, I just sigh and let it go.

   After talking about unrelated things, out of nowhere she says "You know how I get my morning coffee?" I nod and say "Yeah. Every day at 7:15" She nods slowly. "Yeah well, he's why. Every morning he comes in and orders 2 coffees. The same two names David and Jones except sometimes he gets a chocolate muffin usually on Fridays or on Mondays" She rambles on before I interrupt "Oh is that it?" I say sarcastically.

  "Okay I know what your thinking but I feel something special when I see him," she says desperately. I nod "I understand but why just stare? Why not ask him out on a date". I am more direct than she is. She gives me a look like I just suggested throwing all her life savings into the Hudson River. "I can't do that! He is supposed to ask first" she says a-matter-a-factly. "Old fashioned are we?" I say raising my eyebrow. She covers her eyes with her hands and says "I know it's stupid. I just have this made up plan of how true love is supposed to be in my head". I nod. I did too.

   "Fine, just don't let him catch you staring," I say. "Good advice," she says chuckling and I laugh with her. I tell her the story of how I knocked into that guy in the street. "Do you like him?" She asks after I finish and I almost choke on my latte. "What? Of course not. I don't even know him", I say. "Well yes, obviously but do you want to? Get to know him I mean," she says.

   I don't answer her but I think about it. Do I? "Should I actually text him?" I ask her."Yes! Of course. He didn't force you to give him your number. He gave you the decision so you could be comfortable. I think you should" she says genuinely.

   "Okay," I say and get my phone out. I open my phone and roll my eyes when I see the long contact name: Killian Jones: The guy you knocked over in the middle of the street. I text him "Hey it's Emma the one YOU knocked over". I put my phone down but it buzzes just a second after. "Hey! Yeah, the scar forming on my back says otherwise." He replied. I laugh out loud and Mary Margaret raises her eyebrow, clearly happy she was right.

   I put my phone down again and look at Mary Margret. She looks at me and asks after a moment, "If you could wish for anything what would it be?". I answer "Another banner year," sighing. "What about you?" I ask her. "Love..." She says sighing with me.

Authors note:

Hi! By the way, the picture at the beginning of the chapter is the man Mary and Margaret could not stop staring at. The man in the cafe. So what do you all think? Will Emma and Mary Margaret finally get what they wish for?