Back to Work

I wake up with a start when I hear loud banging coming from my front door. Did Henry accidentaly lock himself out again? It better not me another break-in. One is already too much for one week. 

    I get out of bed and put on my slippers and robe. Whoever 's waking me up this early better have a good reason. I look through the peephole and see Graham. That son of a bachelor better have a damn good reason for making me see talk before I've had coffee.

    I open the door and before I could greet Graham with a scowl felt somwthing tug on my robe. When I glancw down I see a little boy with an icecream in one handa nd a piece of my robe in the other. 

    "Emma!" he says and I bend down and hug him "Hey Roland. How are you?" Roland smiles. "I got ice-cream" he says holding it out like it's a diamond or the only glass of water in the Sahara. 

    I laugh and look at Graham. "Yes I can see that." I walk them inside and I say loud enough for only Graham to hear me "Really? Icecream? The sun's barely out". Graham defends "Well it was the oly way to bribe him to get up this morning?" 

    I ponder what he says for a moment. "Wait. This morning?" Graham nods. I picked him up as soon as you called me saying the files were stolen. He stayed with me yesterday but I can't exactly keep him there becuase it's not well exaclty child-safe. You know with all my hunting gear and stuff." 

    I roll my eyes. "I still don't underdtand why you  need all that. You like in midtown New York. The only thing you could hunt here are pigeons and rats." Graham shakes his head "Nonetheless. Roland needs a place to stay now and your the best candidate."

    I nod "I do have some of Henry's old toys and even clothes Roland could use." 

    "For how long?" I ask and Graham rubs the back of his neck. "Only a bit you know we just have to get stuff in order. Technical stuff." he says and I immediently detect he's lying.

    "Graham. How long?" Graham hangs his head in defeat. "Until we get Robin out of prison" he says so low I can barely hear.

    "Maybe I didn't hear right. It sounded like you said "Until we get Robin out of prison?!" Are you crazy? We don't know how long it'll be." I say. Graham nods over to Roland and I lower my voice "Look. I have no problem with him staying here okay? But we need some actual leads if we ever want to get Robin freed."

    Graham nods "I have one. I'm just waitng for a warrant then we'll go but until then there is one crucial part of Robin being freed that you have been avoiding." I raise my eyebrow "And what would that be?" Graham answers "Regina. We need her  hrlp. She's the best lawyer in town and is willing to do the case pro bono. That's too good to pass up." 

    "She's willing to do it for free? Since when?" I ask. "I'm not sure exaclty but after she met with Robin she changed her mind. Guess he convinced her or something."

      I look at Roland "Okay I'll meet with her. When?" Graham checks his watch "In one hour. You better hurry. I hear she doesn't tolerate tardiness" he says. I groan "Seriously? I just wanted to sleep in for one day. One day." I mutter as I walk back to my room.

    "Emma! We gotta get going! The trail is gonna get cold." Graham calls as I finish putting on my shoes in my room. "I'm ready but we have to wait for Henry cause he's gonna be babysitting Roland." I say as I walk out of my room. 

    "Hey! I'm not a baby!" Roland whines. Graham and I laugh. The doorbell rings and Graham gets it as I pour coffee. I hear Henry and Graham talking and I silently pray Hnery won't object to taoking crae of roland while were gone. 

    "Hey Kid" I say as I give Henry a hug. "How was school?" Henry smiles "It was good. I got an A on my algebra test!"

    I jump up excitedly. "I knew it! See, that's what happens when you study."  Henry shakes his head "I would always study. But this time Killian helped me." 

    "You should call Kill and tell him the great news." I say and Henry nods. "Okay I have kind of a big favor to ask you."

    Henry groans "Moooom" he whines. "It's not really a favor anyways since I'm gonna pay you." I add and he quickly starts listening. 

    "I need you to babysit Roland while I'm at work today." I ask with my fingers crossed. "Really? That's it?" I do a double take. I nod and he says "yeah sure I'll do it. I was planning on asking you I could do more chores or soemthing around the house so I could earn some monmey and now this is the perfect opportunity." 

    "I'll pay you by the hour and all you have to do is make sure Roland eats, rests, and stays safe. Food for today is already in the fridge" I say on my way out.

    "Got it mom! So Roland, do you like video games?" Henry turns around and asks Roland. Of course.

    I stop at Starbucks on my way to the station. I need three shots of espresso to get through this day. Or vodka more like.

    I wonder why Regina changed her mind all of a sudden. It doesnt matter why though as long as Robin is getting the help he needs in order to clear his name.

    "Hello Miss. Swan" Regina Mills says and I mentally roll my eyes. "Hello Regina. How are you this morning?" I ask trying to be cordial.

    "Late. The traffic this morning was terrible. Anyways, I need to speak to Robin so if you could get him into a holding cell or an interrogation room I would appreciate it. As soon as possible." Regina requests impatiently.

    We can both go speak with him. I say and she crosses her arms. "Excuse me? Did you not hear what I just said? I will speak to Robin alone. As his sole legal counsel I have the right." She says in a cool tone. Cool? More like iced cold.

    "Fine" I grumble. I lead her to interrogation room B where Robin is waiting. Regina nods quietly as I debrief her about Rolands situation. She seems genuinely concerned but even snakes can pretend to be genuine right? All those girls in high school sure were able to.

EMMAS SUBCONCOUS

    Maybe you're being too hard on her. What has she ever really said or done to make you hate her? Sure she was somewhat rude and curt but thats just her personality. Im sure shes like this with everybody.

    When I walk in he straightens up and fixes his hair. Good morning he says in an attempt to be somewhat cheery. After I tell Robin that Roland is safe and that I will make sure to take care of him he says "Thank you so much Emma. I really appreciate your help with everything and I know Roland is going to be safe with you."

  "Okay, now I if you would excuse us I need to speak with my client in private" Regina says. I resist the urge to roll my eyes. I get up and push in my chair "See you later Robin. I'll be back after Graham and I chase this lead". 

Reginas POV

    "She's gone" Robin says after we hear the door shut. I reach over across the table and grab his hand.

AUTHOR'S P.O.V.

Hey everyone! How's your summer going? I only have one week left :/.

Tomorrow is the last day of my summer internship. After that I'll work 24/7 on the next chapter.-Your most appreciative author