Chapter 1

"Did you hear about the new boy in school, Ariya? Meera, did you?" Aisha asked me.

"Sure," I said distracted while drinking my milk. Typical. Aisha Khan was known for the gossip and latest news going around. She was the most popular girl in tenth grade. Her long, brown hair came down her back. Her eyes glittered with eyeliner, drawing eyes toward her.

And I was friends with her.

The other part of our group was Meera Kapoor, the fashionista. Always dressed in the likes of Gucci, Prada, and Loui Vuitton. She had it all - boots, purses, dresses, and so much more. I was the most conventional of them all, Ariya Nanda. I liked to hear the gossip but I wasn't a gossip obsessed person, unlike Aisha.

It was June, testing was over in BJHS - Benjamin Franklin High School. We were one of the best in all of New Jersey. All the tenth graders were trying to relax with their buddies. We sat at our table in the middle if the lunch room, where we could see everyone and everyone could see us.

Just about then, Meera came to our table with her lunch tray. Her round glasses and neon sweater was the first thing you saw when you looked at her. They made her angular face look pretty, and no one could pull the things she wore off like they did. She was also the brain of the group. She had the best ideas for our projects and presentations.

"Hold it!" Aisha held up her hand. Meera put her tray down, but kept standing. "I release you from this group. Go, go! No one wants to see that ugly face anyway!" Meera seemed blank.

"What do you mean?" her voice was almost inaudible.

"What? You're asking me what? We got the second highest grade for our research project in English!"

"A ninety - eight! Out of a hundred! You are ending our friendship because of a ninety - eight?"

"It was because of you."

"No, textual evidence was your area! Not mine," she retorted.

"Blame it on me! Nice try. Out! Just leave before my eyes burn. Go sit with the nerds. That's where you belong." Aisha pointed to the nerd table where the "nobodies" sat at the far corner.

I felt a tad bit bad. It's not like they were nerds from books and movies - with the broken glasses, buck teeth, and out-of-date clothes. They were the ones who preferred studying over drama. Honestly, they had better attitudes than Aisha.

Meera had now teared up. "You will regret it." She picked up her food tray and disappeared into the crowd. I was sure I saw a tear before she left.

"How does it make a difference whether we get a ninety - eight or one hundred?" Meera is an awesome girl. Aisha had not done the right thing. There had to be something more.

"Uff! Thuje toh pata hai na. Ryan aur iski beech main bahaut zyda dosti bar rahi thi.(You know. Meera and Ryan were becoming so close.)" I rolled my eyes. She very well knew Meera liked Ryan and I am confident Ryan feels the same way. Aisha's interference in her relationship shocked me. I opened my mouth to question her further, but she had already gone back to talking about the new kid.