Chapter 26

ARIYA'S POV

The lights were on, the background set, the dancers ready. A buzz zoomed backstage as everyone ran around in a frenzy doing last minute touch ups. Dancers practiced their moves reviewing the 32 count steps in order to distract themselves from the butterflies fluttering in their small stomachs. The seats were filling up as attendees walked into the grand auditorium holding a program in their hands. The majestic walls surrounding them were filled with intricate designs of gold which reached to cover the high ceiling, providing a magical essence. There seemed to be an adrenaline rush coursing through every member present backstage, all wondering if we would be able to pull off something this grand. Today depended not only on the future of Ariyaaz, but the course of my life.

Standing center stage, I recalled last night's conversation:

"Ariya, it's about time you make a decision on Raj," my mother sternly advised, placing food on my plate. The reason why I was at my parents place was because of an "urgent conversation" that we had to have. I should've realized it's topic earlier.

I was bewildered, "Ma, can we please not do this right now. The show is tommorrow and I just can't deal with this right now."

"Ariya," my father spoke. "We're serious. Tomorrow, after the show, I want to know your final decision about Raj." He explained further, "He has our permission."

"He's right. We approve of him and it's about time you settle down."

I toyed with my food. "What if I say no?"

Ma slammed the table, "You will agree, you understand that?" Her voice frightened me.

I looked towards my father who appeared irritated. "Listen, Ariya, we are saying this for your own good."

I stood up from the table not having touched a morsel of food. Tears brimmed my eyes. "It's not fair," I whispered. I left the table, heading for my room.

"Get married Ariya! We have always given you the liberty to do whatever to you want to do. We're asking you for one thing...soch le (think about it)," she screamed after me.

I fell on my bed crying a river of tears. My parents never wanted anything from me; however, their one request would bind me in a loveless bond for the rest of my life.

"Testing, testing 1 2 3..." I snapped out of my thoughts at the voice. I looked up towards the sound booth at the back. Vicky had his head phones on and spoke commands to his assistants who were on the stage. "Track 1".

Re kabira maan jaa...
O Kabira, listen to me...

Our eyes locked. No words were exchanged; yet, we had a conversation of a thousand emotions that neither of us could decipher. We were so close; yet, so far. I broke eye contact and walked off stage. I couldn't let myself get carried away. He was not my future. He could never be.

I wiped away unshed tears as I saw Meera and Aisha running towards me. "The show is going to be amazing tonight!" Meera squealed.

"Thank you," I hugged her tightly.

"Good luck dumbo!" Ryan screamed from the bottom of the stage. I merely smiled, not having the energy to give a comeback.

"You good?" Aisha eyed me suspiciously.

"Yup," I forced a smile. "Just stressed."

She rubbed my shoulder. "Don't worry, you're gonna slay tonight."

"Yea, now you go get ready and we'll take care of everything else," Meera said.

I sighed wanting to cry again. "What would I do without you guys?"