Chapter 23

ARIYA'S POV

"Hey, Vicky. Are you busy?"

"Yes, I'm going to have to call you back." With that he disconnected the line.

I huffed in my car, rubbing my hands together. I'll just have to wait until he calls back. Until then, I figured I should sort out the one issue I was avoiding...Raj.

I rang the doorbell, nervously waiting for Raj to open the door. He greeted me with a huge smile, "I knew you would come by." He pulled me inside and a strong scent of vanilla hit me. The entire living room had been decorated with scented candles. A path created by rose petals led to the lavish fireplace where a huge teddy bear was placed.

"Why?"

He took my hand in his, "You know Ariya, I love you more than anyone I have ever dated. You are the most unique and the most beautiful. I felt as if I was too sudden last night; so, I've done all this for you."

"I'm sorry about last night, too."

He pulled me closer in an embrace. "We can make up for it tonight," his tone hinting at his intensions.

I let go of him immediately. "Raj, what don't you understand? I said no."

He seemed confused, "But why?"

"I'm just not ready yet."

"Baby, I've done all of this for you. For us."

"Look I know we are exploring our relationship, but this is one step that I don't want to take until I'm absolutely sure about us."

"You're such a plain jane. I never expected you to be so old school," he said flatly.

My anger rose and with that so did my hand. Raj face reddened as he reached for the cheek I slapped. "Go to hell, Ariya."

"Gladly," I stomped out of his house.

Back on the road, I struggled to calm myself. How dare he insult me for my choice about my body. Just because I don't want to sleep with him renders me an old age girl. He only wanted it for lust not for love. This is an expression of love to me and there's no way I could compromise myself, my body, my beliefs for his lust.

The sun was long gone and it had begun pouring. Each drop that hit the windshield felt as if it was hitting me. Even the sky mourned at how bad I handled relationships. 

My car gradually screeched to a stop until it refused to move. Dammit, I was out of gas.

VICKY'S POV

I walked onto the station platform with a goal set in mind. After waking up to a severe headache, I recalled last night's events. While for me it was a drunk mistake, it was a confession of love for Alisha and I couldn't ignore that. She had avoided me all day and I couldn't stand it.

It's was raining cats and dogs on my way from the station. Thunder boomed louder than the radio and droplets of rain pit pattered against the windshield. The street was deserted with not a soul in sight.

As fate would have it there was only one car in the middle of the road. It didn't move despite my numerous honks. The rain was already delaying me and now this. I wanted to get home as soon as possible and talk to Alisha. My fustration getting the best of me, I stomped out into the rain. I was soaked by the time I approached the car and knocked on the window. I recognized the driver before the window rolled down.

"Vicky!" Ariya cried. Her face was stained with tears and eyes were swollen.

Before I could respond she got down from the car and wrapped her arms around me. It was just us, our bodies, our breaths and the rain.

"Ariya, what happened?"

Her drenched hair stuck to her face. I pushed back a stray strand. She opened her mouth to say something and failed to do so as she fell unconscious in my arms.

I wondered what could've happened for her to be stranded late at night in the storm. Before I could get answers, I had to take her home. Having forgotten about my own plans for the night, I placed her in my car and dialed an auto service for her car which I saw was out of gas. She would have to go pick it up tomorrow.

I laid her on her bed after entering her apartment from her keys which I found in her purse. I wrapped her in blankets knowing the she would feel cold because she was soaking wet. Even in her unconscious state, she shined like the moon. I placed my hand on her cheek and she leaned into it murmuring my name. I sighed relaxed at the fact she had fallen asleep.

It was past midnight and the rain had no intention of shopping. Deciding it was not worth going back out, I changed into an extra set of clothes that I luckily had with me. Having dried myself off I checked up on Ariya again to see she was still fast asleep. With that, I took to the coach and drifted off myself.

ARIYA'S POV

I awoke to the sun's rays peeking through the curtains. I stretched my arms, rubbing my eyes to wake myself up. I felt my clothes, they were the same I had on yesterday and they were extremely damp. Last night began to come back to me. My fight with Raj, the rain, my car running out of gas...where was my car?, I thought. How did I end up back at my place? Confused I got out of bed and headed towards the bathroom. As I brushed my teeth, I heard some noises coming from the kitchen's direction. It felt as if someone was rummaging through my cabinets. What if it's a robber? I grabbed a stick from my box of props. Swinging it behind me, I tip toed towards the "danger". I could make out a figure moving around. I tightened my grip on the stick, preparing to strike.

I whispered to my self, "3...2...AHHHH!" The intruder and I both were screaming.

Vicky threw his hands up. "Ariya! You scared me."

I didn't let go of my weapon, "What are you doing in my house?"

"I'll explain. Just put the stick down." I narrowed my eyes at him. "Come on, get rid of the weapon and come sit here. See I even made breakfast. Don't you like pancakes?" he coaxed me like a little child.

My stomach grumbled at his words and I gave in taking a seat. I dug into the plate he served me which actually tasted really good. As he watched me eat, he explained how he ended up at my place.

"Sorry for almost hitting you," I sheepishly said at the end of his narration.

"No problem," he shrugged. He gathered his belongings to head out. "Ariya, can I ask you something?" I nodded as I finished the last bit of food on my plate.

"Why were you crying?" His worry was evident from his concerned eyes and creased forehead.

I sighed dramatically, "Ab kya kare? Akhir akeli ladki khuli tajori ke tarah hoti hai. (Now what to do? After all, a girl alone is like an open treasure box.)" I laughed the question off. He chuckled as I behaved like a damsel in distress for dramatic representation.

"Well take care of your self so that you don't fall unconscious in the middle of the road." I shook my head side to side as if listening to a parent's lecture. "Also, are you going anywhere? I saw some suitcases in the living room."

"Yea, I'm leaving for California today evening. Meera is hosting a grand opening for the new studio there."

"Oh yeah. I recall Ryan telling me about that. Have a safe trip and please take care of yourself," he emphasized the second part.

"I will. Now stop parenting me and go to work." I pushed him towards the door. "Uh, Vicky?" I stopped him as he was almost out the door. He turned. "Thank you," I sincerely smiled at him. Who knew what would've happened if he wasn't there last night.

He winked, "This knight in shining armour is always ready to protect his princess."

Thanks for reading!

Vote and comment!!! : D