Chapter 16

VICKY'S POV

I was returning to my room after a workout in the morning when I heard bickering from the kitchen. We were going sighseeing today. Anjali Aunty was making the typical Indian meal of puri and aloo ki subzi, much to Ariya's dismay. She wanted to eat out and not have to haul around bags of food.

"Ma! How will we enjoy the delacies here if we pack all of this?" She was sitting on top of the counter.

"Who said you can't eat out? We should have one meal with us though. All the men need their food on time, especially your father. Gotta keep his health on check," Anjali Aunty countered.

"You will get tired by making all of this now, then you won't be able to enjoy," she pouted.

"Meri tension maat le! (Don't worry about me!) You'll get to enjoy," Aunty half scolded her.

"Listen to Aunty," I added, entering the kitchen.

"Thank you, beta," Aunty pinched my cheeks. Ouch!

She gave a glare to Ariya and she finally gave in. "On one condition, I'm making everything. I don't want you all tired and all this work in the morning isn't good for your health."

"So many? On your own?" Aunty wasn't too sure.

"I'll help her," I said.

"You?" Ariya looked at me in disbelief.

"I've many talents your yet to discover," I grinned.

"Alright then, I'll leave you kids to it. If you need help let me know." Aunty left the kitchen.

Ariya began kneading the dough for the puris. "Well don't just stand there! Take the potatoes from the microwave and peel them."

I did as told. A loose strand of hair fell from Ariya's bun and she kept trying to move it away, getting flour on her forehead in the process. I reached over the counter to wipe it off. "Thanks," she smiled. We worked together and made aloo puri for everyone.

"Where'd you learn to cook?" she asked as she heated oil to fry the puris.

"Not having your mother's food sucks. I just learned when I was home. Really came in handy in college."

She nodded, "Being away from home before college sucked?"

"It had its pros and cons. I was living on my own, highly independent, and and mature, according to my teachers. At the same time, I missed being home, sometimes. Weren't many Indians, unlike Edison."

"Patel Nagar Zindabad!" Ariya shouted. BHJS students were called from A to Patel and then P to Z on roll call because they were so many Patels!

"Exactly, kinda missed the Desi fun. I had some company, but not as much."

"Fobs all the way!"

"Yup!" We finished making the food and packed it up with other snacks and drinks.

"Not bad, Saxena!"

"Not at all, Nanda. We make a good team!" We highfived and she giggled.

It felt so good to be back on good terms with her. I was slightly surprised when she said she wanted to be cordial, but glad nonetheless. It felt as if a huge burden had been removed from my shoulders. Leaving on a sour note always nagged me, even though I tried to ignore it. Though I told her I have feelings for her, it's better off keeping them at bay right now, something I don't mind.

An hour later, we were ready to go. We hauled the food and other materials into the vans. I took one van, with my parents, Ariya, and her parents, while Ryan took his parents, fiancee, Aisha and to be in laws in another.