Chapter 12

8 YEARS LATER

VICKY'S POV

"Dum dee dee dum/Imma pop it like..." I sang the beat as I adjusted my tie. Another day of work lay ahead of me. Thank god it was Friday which meant I had a DJing gig afterwards.

I grabbed my files as I headed to catch a train from Edison. I had settled in Edison permanently though I spent most of my time in New York. Taking my seat in the train, I scrolled through the news. "Well good morning to you too," the female's voice dripped with sarcasm.

I flashed my irresistible smile, "Good morning, Alisha!" Alisha Singhania, the most bubbly and sarcastic women you will ever meet, if that combo is even possible. I met her at St. Peter's, one of the only Indians in the school, along with me. We both started there the same year, our background and common interests allowing us to bond. We went to the same college and graduated together. Later, we built our own company as partners. We worked together during the day and worked the music table all night.

"Morning! Now you have to meet with a potential client today and I have to meet with project directors. We are providing full music and lights at tonight's club so I hope you have had your rest. It's gonna be a long one."

"Yup, thanks."

We got off at Penn Station and walked into the bustling streets of New York. I stared up at the looming skyscraper which held the employees of Saxena and Singhania Works, our company. We had come a long way from when we started it four years ago. Through a lot of hard work, sweat, and tears, S.S Works has emerged as one of the top ten companies. A branch of S.S Works was S.S Music from where we led our DJing. We provided music, lights, and hosts for all events from birthdays to graduations to marriages.

I had settled in my office when my personal assistant walked in, "Sir, your client for your next deal is here."

"Send them in please." She nodded and left.

I had a great view of the city. The people were mini Lego figures running around on the streets. Taxis and buses honked and polluted the air as they pushed through traffic. There were times when I felt I never slept, just like the city. Countless thoughts of someone unknown kept me awake. I had no regrets of what I did, but still I often wondered what was missing.

A couple of minutes later a tall, slim lady walked in. "Emily Turner, pleasure to meet you," she spoke in a seducing tone.

"Vicky Saxena, pleasure's all mine. Please be seated." I noticed her plump red lips and short skirt which left little to imagine. I was unfazed and studied the file she brought in. Her company was not beneficial to ours at all. There would be more loss than profit. The whole time, the representative twirled her long tresses on her fingertips. "I'm sorry Ms.Turner, but I don't think I will be able to go through with this deal."

"I'm sure we can work something out Mr. Saxena," she leaned over my desk, opening her blouse buttons. I could see where she was going with this. "What will it take?" she further tried in that seducing voice.

"It will take a lot for our company to make a deal with your company, which is practically in ruins I must say." I reached for the buttons of her blouse, closing them. "I do not mix business with pleasure."

Emily Turner pouted, "Oh, common! Not even a little? All this could be yours."

Disgusted I replied, "This meeting is adjourned. Thank you for coming." She finally gave up, picked up her file and left, murmuring profanities. I sighed and got back to work.

*****

"She did not!" Alisha wouldn't stop laughing at my encounter with Emily Turner.