Chapter 5

I went over to Aisha's place after school. Her place screamed rich - elegant tapestry, modern furniture, open space, and high-tech technology. Her room had a large, comfy bed that was surrounded by curtains. She had an additional couch, overpowering dresser, and a soft carpet. Not only that, some stairs led up to a lounge with more couches and a huge flat screen TV. It was themed purple and blue with her trophies, certificates, and images adorning the wall.

We were in her lounge watching her latest singing performance on the 80-inch. She looked beautiful, needless to say, as she walked around the stage, full of confidence with her microphone in hand. The way she presented and held herself made everyone look up to her, myself included. Her performance was for a charity that helped homeless kids. I clapped when it ended.

"Aisha the Great! The best singer in the world!" She had a melodious voice, one that I could never achieve. I didn't do as well in singing as I did in dance.

"Thanks," she beamed at the compliment. "Anyway, what's up between you and Vicky?"

"Vicky?" I questioned.

"Yeah, I heard what happened during gym," she explained. I blushed at the memory from earlier today.

"Oh...ummm...that," I started. What should I say? Oh, I think I totally like him now and he doesn't.

"Yeah...come on. You know you can tell me, " she insisted. Right, she was my best friend. Why should I hide it?

"I may," I started.

"You may..." she showed she was paying attention.

"Kinda...sorta..."

"Kinda...sorta..."

"I may...kinda...sorta - "

"Let's go girl! I don't got all day!" She complained.

"Okay, okay," I spoke real fast, "ImaykindasortalikeVicky." I spit it all out in one breath. She gave no reaction. I think even her expression dropped a little, but she covered it up in an instant.

"Wow, that's awesome!" She finally exclaimed, but seemed reserved as if wearing a mask. "Does he like you though?"

"I don't know," I admitted, "He said "Kuch kuch nahi hota hai(Nothing happens)""

"Oh don't worry, Kat. You'll know soon," she said with a smile, but not without rolling her eyes at my reference. We dropped the topic there and saw some of our previous performances together.

I don't know why, but I felt Aisha's smile lingered too long, as if she was thinking about something or someone else. I let it go, assuming it must be something unimportant if she isn't telling me because she shared everything with me. I never had to ask, she would always spill what she had to, whether I wanted to hear it or not.

A dance with Aisha, Meera, and I played. It was on the song "Yeh Ishq Hai(This love Is)" from Jab We Met (When We Met). Aisha had only agreed to do it as it was for a Diwali party. I recalled our good days as I watched the three of us spin in our long anarkalis, singing and laughing with each other. Things weren't as complicated before, I didn't have to juggle both of them separately.

"We used to be so happy together, the three of us. Always dancing, singing, hanging around. What happened?" I know she told me that she didn't like that Ryan and Meera were close, but that was way past us now. They were together and that wasn't going to change, not that she had done anything in the past couple days anyway. She didn't really care for Ryan, even though she made a move on him. That was normal from Aisha. She hadn't shared anything with me after the day she and Meera officially "fought", either. There had to be more, but I couldn't put the big picture together.