Chapter 11

The school year ended and our gang went out to celebrate the start of summer at the mall. We sat in a group with drinks in our hands in the food court.

"Okay, okay, everyone. I have a very special announcement to make." Vicky grabbed our attention. "So, before I started school with you guys, I applied to an academy. Saint Peter's Academy for Technology. It's a school excelling in technology with special courses on things like DJing. And....I got in!"

"What?! St.Peter's is a prestigious school! OMG, Vicky, this is amazing!" Ryan was the first to react.

"Congrats!!" Aisha and Meera followed pursuit.

I got up and gave Vicky a hug. My happiness knew no bounds. He got into a school that was just right for him. St. Peter's would nurture his talents in music and technology.

"I didn't think I would get in, especially since I didn't apply freshman year. However, I've been made an exception and invited to complete my last two years of high school there."

"Isn't the school hours away?" Meera asked.

Vicky looked me in the eye, "The school is four hours away. I'd have to dorm and come back for break over Thanksgiving, Christmas, and spring."

The color drained from my face. That meant he would be leaving this town and all of us. We wouldn't be in the same school or friend circle, heck, we both wouldn't even be in Edison. He was going hours away from me. Did this mean a long distance relationship?

Vicky may have noticed my expression because he added, "I haven't accepted the offer yet." I remained quiet, while everyone else encouraged him to go.

We would grow apart if he went, there was no doubt about that. Our busy schedules wouldn't allow us time to talk everyday, especially considering that we would be entering our most important year of high school, junior year. St.Peter's was full of white kids and had a demeanor of its own. It would change him and all the girls there...I wanted him to go, obviously, but I selfishly didn't want him to leave me.

"Ariya and I are going to take a quick walk." Vicky brought me out of my thoughts. I only nodded.

"Do you want me to go?" He questioned as we walked past all the stores.

"Do you want to go?" I avoided the question.

"You know me, Ariya. Just like Bunny. Main udtna chahta hoon, daudna chahta hoon, girna bhi chahta hoon, bas rukna nahi chahta (I want to fly, I want to run, I even want to fall, but I don't want to stop). And kahin jaane ke liye kahin se nikalna parta hai (to go somehwere you have to leave someplace)."

"Jaanti hoon (I know)."

"So do you want me to go?" He pressed the question.

"Tum Bunny ho, phir main bhi Naina hoon. Mera sab kooch yahan hai, lekin main kaise rokungi tumhe (If you are Bunny, then I am Naina too. I have everything here, but how can I stop you from going)?" I sighed, "Yes, it's an amazing opportunity. A great school that will really help build up your future. But, no, I don't want you to go because if you go, it will mean the end of Variya."

*****

Weeks passed since Vicky's announcement. Meera and I would volunteer at our dance studio and sometimes Aisha would tag along. We hung out either at Aisha's pool, Meera's trampoline or took a trip to grab some treats from a nearby bakery.

Ryra was stronger than ever. They did small things which spoke volumes about their feelings for each other. They went to the movies together and talked for hours into the night. They even fought about little things like the way Meera pronounced a word or how lazy Ryan was, but nothing kept them angry at each other for long. It was under the stars where they shared their first kiss. Ryan had set up a picnic on a blanket in his backyard. "You're amazing you know that?" Ryan told her after their sweet liplock.