Chapter 19

ARIYA'S POV

“That was hilarious!” Aditi Aunty laughed.

“She didn’t even know your name!"
Ryan banged the table in laughter. Everyone was discussing last night’s Sangeet as we ate lunch. The Kilara ceremony had taken place earlier in the morning. Meera sat with numerous blessings tied around her hands.

Aisha agreed, “I wanted her to get off stage so bad. If Ariya hadn’t told Vicky, I would’ve dragged her off myself.”

As we recounted the previous night’s events, Ma tallied all the things for tonight. Meera’s expression darkened a shade, “I have to be shy today.” All the adults burst laughing knowing how unlike Meera it would be for her to behave coy. If things went according to her, she would be dancing in the baraat.

In this laughter, the last hours of Meera’s “freedom” flew away. Meera and Ryan separated after lunch with a reminder of how lenient they had been of how the bride and groom cannot meet before the wedding. Meera’s makeup artists arrived and began to apply layers of makeup on her. Meera ravished in her red lengha and heavy jewelry. I still couldn’t fathom how she would carry all that weight through out the entire night. “The love carries it for you. Everything tonight is all because I fell in love.”

On the other hand, Aisha had dressed in an elegant gown and I in a layered net lengha. I kept my makeup simple - barely some eyeliner and lipstick against Aisha’s wishes. Aunty and Ma came in - Aunty of course ready to cry any moment. After cooing over how she’s grown up and how pretty she looks, Ma casually found the occasion to round on me.

“Ariya, there are many interesting boys downstairs whom you could meet tonight,” she graciously hinted.

Not wanting to ruin the mood I replied, “I’ll think about it.” Oddly enough, she was satisfied.

VICKY'S POV

"Last chance to run away. I'm telling you, you should take it," I chided Ryan as he adjusted his sherwani.

"No can do. I already updated my Facebook status," he stated the matter of fact.

A knock on the door had me turn to see Alisha. Dressed in a simple lengha she came to hug me. "Congrats to your end!" She said to Ryan and he rolled his eyes.

I pulled her away into another room for I had an important declaration to make. "I have something to tell you," we said in unison. Her face lit, she gestured for me to go first.

"You know how I've never looked at a girl." She nodded. "Well there was this one girl before at BJHS. I never did get over her and she's back into my life. She won't say it straightforward, but I know she hasn't moved on either. And I want to give us another shot." While Ariya could hide all she wanted, I saw right through her. I reiterated my story to Alisha and she listened intently, her face dropping a little. "Could I practice with you?" She nodded. "When we were in school, I had you by my side. Even when we weren't, you were still there. I think about you nonstop. Your brown eyes, silky hair, and your obsession over Ranbir Kapoor, I love all of that. And most of all I love you. So, will you please give us a chance?"

There was noise at the door and Alisha jerked. Fortunately, there was no one there. "That's great Vicky! I'm sure you'll get her." The glee of her statement made me blind to how her smile didn't reach her eyes. "At least you've finally proven that you aren't a Karan Johar."

"Oh my, thank you. And what did you want to tell me?"

"Oh nothing. Don't worry about it." When I insisted, she refused. "Focus on your proposal first, I'm not going anywhere." I nodded. "I'll just go see if anyone needs any help with preparations."

Alisha exited the room and I gave myself one last look in the mirror. Ariya loves me right? She'll say yes.

ARIYA'S POV

"And most of all, I love you. So will you give us a chance?" I peeked into the room from which I was to pick up some sweets only to see that Vicky was with another girl. He was proposing to her. Forgetting my purpose, I ran out before they could see me. Locking myself in a random room, tears pricked my eyes. I've never seen a more hypocritical person. He's been asking me about our history for the past number of days, but today he's asking some other girl to he his girlfriend. And to think that I almost believed we could be something more than friends again.

No, I couldn't let this happen to me. I would have to be indifferent towards him. He only came back into my life to help me overcome what happened that summer, nothing more. Now that I have been relieved of those memories he's going away - a reminder of my lonliness. Once a lone wolf, always a lone wolf. Wiping the couple of tears that dared to spill, I left the room.

Aisha gave a pointed look in the corridor. “The sweets?”

“Oh...umm”

She took in my disheveled state, “What happened to you?”

“Here are the sweets,” joined a chirpy girl. She had on a light but pretty lengha which she carried with ease and confidence. I took in her features and realized she was Alisha - Vicky’s girlfriend. “You must be Ariya.” I forced a smile. “Damn, you’re so pretty. Vicky would be lucky to have you.” Was she insane? Why was she talking about me and Vicky if she was with him?

“Anyway, I got to take these sweets down, but Ariya are you okay?” Aisha questioned.

I walked past her with a blank look mumbling, “Everything’s over.”

VICKY’S POV

Meera looked radiant as she walked down the stairs to the mandap in her bride form. She was accompanied by her cousins who held an intricate  flower bed above her. Ryan awaited her at the the stage. With the music in the background, she came up. Behind her were Ariya and Aisha. She looked ravishing, my center of attention. She felt my gaze on her and looked my way, but quickly averted her eyes.

It was time for Ryan's speech, “Meera. We have looked forward to this day for years. Since freshman year to be exact. Now we’ve been through so much together, so many ups and downs…” The day when Ariya and I practiced this scene came back to me. Ariya turned to leave the stage. She seemed disturbed and I followed her out.

Out of the wedding hall I called to her retreating figure, “Ariya?”

She didn't turn around, "What?"

"Are you okay? It's your best friend's wedding and you ran out of the hall."

"So why did you come out?" she asked with no emotion.

I reached for her hand but she jerked away at my touch. What was going through her mind?

"Don't worry about me, I'm fine. You back to..." she fumbled.

"Back to what?"

She had on a distant look, "Go wherever, I don't care." She paused for a moment. "There are some really good guys here. Maybe I'll just marry one of them. My mother is really keen on the idea."

She was beyond confusing me, "Don't worry. I'll send you an invitation if one of these guys actually work out. Have a great life with Alisha. You guys are great together." She pushed past me leaving me stranded.

Ariya and marriage? Me with Alisha? What is she thinking?

Back at the wedding, Meera and Ryan walked the seven rounds around the fire. Soon enough the wedding was completed and they were tied in holy matrimony. They posed for pictures as elder's gave them their blessings. Her cousins asked Ryan money for the shoes they had stolen earlier. The entire time, Ariya stuck by Meera's side. I attempted to approach her on multiple  occasions but she dodged me everytime. Eventually, I asked Aisha.

"You've messed it all up, Vicky," it was obvious she was disappointed in me, yet she refused to tell me why.

In that confusion, the night came to a close and I was no where closer to figuring out why Ariya was in a foul mood that, too, because of me. Little did I know that while two hearts united that night, three hearts broke.

Thanks for reading! Vote and comment!!! ; D