Chapter 6

The day of the performance, lockers jammed, kids screamed, and teachers taught - a regular high school day. However, all throughout a premonition that something was going to go wrong had taken a permanent seat in my stomach. I hadn't seen Aisha or Vicky today, not even in the classes we had in common. I snuck Vicky a text as well, but he didn't respond. Was he alright? Was he even in school? It wasn't until I was on my way to fourth period when I caught a glimpse of his hair in the hallway.

"Vicky!!!" I earned many stares, none of them belonging to the subject of my call. My shoulders drooped and I walked to gym in disappointment. He was probably ignoring me, running away to be with Aisha. I walked into the gym, letting the cool air calm me. There was an event going on, so we didn't have gym today. I settled myself on the bleachers, ready to enjoy a period of calmness. Sirf main aur meri thanhai (Just me and my loneliness). I opened my work; yea, I still had assignments. Some teachers just don't understand that it's June.

"Can you come with me?" Vicky's voice resounded in my ears. Just because he doesn't talk to me for a day, doesn't mean I start hearing his voice everywhere. I continued my work, ignoring my imaginative mind. "Ariya!" A hand touched my shoulder and my eyes shot up to meet with brown orbs. "Missing me, huh?" He smirked taking a seat next to me.

"What? No," I defended myself.

"Just because he doesn't talk to me for a day, doesn't mean I start hearing his voice everywhere!" He mimicked me.
Shit, had I said that out aloud? "Yeah, you did and you just said that as well". I rolled my eyes, not at all interested in joking around. "Come on...what happened?" I nodded and followed him out. Mrs.Lara didn't care what we did, but I could feel her stare at the two of us as we walked out. Her stares wouldn't make a difference, there was nothing blossoming here. We walked down the empty hallway in silence, neither having something to say to the other. I failed to understand, though: how does he ignore my calls, voice, and texts and then act so casual?

"Where were you?"

"When? I've been here..."

"In the morning..." I guided him.

"I had something in the morning. Then, I had to make a trip to the guidance counselor as well. The wait was so long, I missed a bunch of my classes. On top of that, Purab took my phone so I had to run after him to get that back. Seriously, man, that kid is annoying."

"Oh" He has been running around all day, that's why I haven't seen him. I seriously react too much sometimes. My stomach finally felt a bit at ease and my muscles relaxed. I expressed my sympathy. We walked around to a secluded area and took a seat.

"Are you going to the dance?" The school's End of the Year Dance was next week. All the girls were excited to go shopping for dresses and were deciding their dates. It was just a two hour school event, but the attention it was given and drama that it is caused was out the roof. From date rumors to mani-pedis to food, everything was being blown out of proportion. Like come on, its not even prom! Of course, I was still going, but no way was I interested in making such a big deal out of it. "Who you going with?"

"Ummm...three choices. I, me, aur main (and myself). And I could consider anyone who would bother asking, not that anyone is going to ask me," I said with a laugh. No guy would care to look at me, they all go after Aisha.

"Well, maybe you could go with me..." My eyes went round. Vicky was asking me to the dance? He couldn't possibly....

"Very funny!" I tried to brush it off. I didn't want him to get my hopes up only to say he was joking.

"I am serious. Dekho kya main haas raha hoon? (Look am I laughing?)" He bore his orbs into mine with a completely serious expression.

"Uff! I don't even look at proposals like that." I stood, crossed my arms and smirked. I was doing a happy dance inside. Whether he was joking or not, I had no idea anymore. Either way, I wasn't going to let him off easy.

Surprisingly enough, he got on his knees. Wait, what? Was he actually serious? I stood my ground, stern like a general. "Ariya, I know we met only sometime back and don't know each other very well. But, in this short time we have made our own unique bond. I bore you with my shit when we talk, but you listen anyway. We both love Bollywood and I want to show you what an amazing Raj, Rahul, Abhi, Bunny I can be." He took out his phone and quickly punched in his password. The tunes of Sun Saathiya (Listen Beloved) adorned the background. He moved to the male part of the music showing his killer moves.

Tar jaaun tar tar juan (I'll cross)

Dariya main tar jaaun jee (I'll cross this sea of troubles of this world)

Ishq ye paake main tera (I'd get your love)

Nikhar jaaun ri.... (and be clean)

He ended on his knees, the music stopping as well, "Ariya, will you go to the dance with me?" My heart danced with ecstasy. Vicky genuinely liked me. Like he like-liked me. The music started again and this time I joined in, too.

O piya baas teri main (O beloved I am just yours)

Ho...chu le to khari main (If you touch me, I'd be pure)

To khari main, khari main (I'd be pure, I'd be pure)

Sun saathiya maahiya (Listen beloved)

Barsa de ishq ka ki syahiyaan (Shower on me the inks of love)

We ended the song in unison, eyes meeting eyes, souls meeting souls. It was a moment never to be forgotten. Time had stopped and I could've stayed locked in that trance forever.

"Finally!!!" Meera screamed. Meera and Ryan came into our tiny hallway, their faces glowing with glee. "I knew you guys were meant to be!" They put down the piles of books they were both holding and joined us. The copies of Romeo and Juliet were forgotten with the sight they had just witnessed. Though they kinda walked in on the moment, I was glad it was them two and not anyone else.

"Vicky and Ariya," Ryan put his brain to work. "Aricky, Vicariya, Viriya, Variya, Acky..."

"I like Variya," Meera voiced her opinion. My cheeks became a hundred shades redder. A gushing, bright tomato red.

Vicky didn't seem to mind. "I second that," he said as he put an arm around my shoulder. He flashed his million dollar smile at me. Variya, I liked the sound of that. His arm felt so right, as if my shoulder would be forever cold if he let go.

"See Ariya, I told you he liked you!" I was flustered at her statement. How did she just say that aloud, that, too, in front of him? Vicky didn't say anything, but gave me a teasing look. I wanted hide in his arm. Ryan looked at Vicky with a knowing expression. While I continuously blushed, they gave each other a thumbs-up. So, they had known about all this from before. It was so typical of Meera to play matchmaker, but, who cares, it worked didn't it? It was surprising he was able to come up with the perfect way of asking me out. "Vicky wanted to give you that cliche Bollywood proposal you wanted."

"Well, I loved it. A lot se bhi zyada (more than a lot). Speaking of ship names...you guys don't have one either." They hand't been "official" for long and didn't make a big deal of it in front of others as Aisha would always be there.

"Yea," Vicky agreed. "Ryra?"

"Oooh, pretty!"

I was worrying for no reason. Nothing bad could happen when I had Meera, Ryan, and Vicky. The anger and confusion had washed out, replaced by a new feeling. My heart jumped around, ecstatic at the turn out. I hoped we were going to rock our performance today, nothing could go wrong now. Meera and Ryan recollected the long forgotten copies of Romeo and Juliet and headed back to class. Vicky and I also returned back to the gym, talking about sweet nothings along the way.

Thanks for reading! Vote and comment!!! ; )