Chapter 3

I almost missed the doorbell. Music filled my room as I worked. It faded as I left my speakers which were blaring "Let's Talk About Love".

"Hi! Hi!" Aisha greeted me as she came in. I reached to close the outside world to our meeting, but Aisha stopped me. "Hold up, girl! Don't forget Vicky," she instructed.

"Hey," Vicky stepped in. I waved.

"He is going to work with us too!" Aisha squealed.

"Oh," I whispered.Though I didn't mind working with the new kid in school, I still wasn't happy with his presence. Maybe because he was Meera's replacement. But, who would stop Aisha? I ousted the awkward feeling to see Vicky staring at me. He looked away as I gave him a "Why you looking at me?" stare.

"Let's go, then. We should get started." We made our way to my room and Aisha took her favorite spot on my bed, while Vicky stood at the entryway.

"Come in. Take that chair, if you like. Feel comfortable," I added to make it less awkward.

"Nice room." He walked around looking at my purple room. He studied my dressing table full of hair clips and nail polish, all my paintings from summer camp, as well as my pictures from over the years. He stopped at one picture in which I was dressed in black trousers with a glittery top from my first dance back when I was five. "Your so cute," he commented. I looked down knowing I was blushing really hard. Wait, why am I blushing? I don't even know him...but he's cute! But, he's also Meera's replacement.

Aisha cut in and started talking about the assignment. I regained my composure and Vicky took the chair at my study table. "We need something different. Something big! Something that will blow everyone's minds away like "How did they manage that?"" The room fell silent, besides the now soft music in the background.

My mind raced through all our previous performances, picking out how each and every dance was Aisha's choice. Meera and I had always wanted to do a Bollywood number, but she pushed it away every time. I found it unfair how I had to keep my love for Bollywood bottled up inside me, only because it wasn't "cool", according to Aisha. I wasn't going to let her have her way this time. "I think this should be a full Bollywood blowout. Think of it, all the performances we have done this year have been International: salsa for Musicalathon, hip hop for the school dance, and ballet for the Talent Show. We should bring it back to our country. So what if we don't live in India? We still have our roots and aren't afraid to show it, despite being American!"

Vick perked up, "You love Bollywood?"

"Bollywood for life," I said patting my heart.

"Me too!" We high fived each other. "Favorite actor?"

"Ranbir Kapoor! You?"

"Deepika Padukone," he replied, excitedly.

"OMG! Like Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani is my all time favorite!"

"OMG! Same!" We double high fived this time. I was bubbling with excitement having found a potential Bollywood Buddy.

"Yeah, but like Fall Out Boy is the best!" Aisha cut in. This was one quality I disliked about her. She is Indian as well, then what's wrong with listening to Indian music? I don't understand how she refuses to say she is Indian, despite belonging to that very country.