Chapter 18

ARIYA'S POV

Roses and marigolds adorned the tables outside, filling the air with the soft smell of love. Lights lined the outside of the house - each string hung from the roof and circled at the bottom. Hands dug into to bowls of food, savoring the notable sweets. Families hugged and caught up on their lives, endless chatter filling every room. The Manor was exhilarated, jubilation filling everyone's soul. In the backyard, the family priest had just completed the Mandap ceremony. The dholak was brought out and an apprehensive teenager sat in front of it. The women began to dance to traditional songs they sang. Meera, dressed in a lovely yellow cotton suit, sparkled watching her aunts dance.

Maanika Aunty gestured for me to bring a thali from the kitchen. I grabbed it and headed back outside. Vicky, however, stopped me. Might I say, he looked hot in kurta and jeans as I scanned him up and down.

"Done checking me out?" I waved off the accusation. He smiled, "I know the ladies can't resist me."

I pouted, "Yeah the old ladies that pull your cheeks."

He rolled his eyes. I excused myself to head back out. "What are you dancing to for the Sangeet tonight?"

"It doesn't concern you," I politely said. We were having a combined Sangeet in the backyard tonight. Technically, Vicky was from Ryan's side...no way was I telling him what I had in mind. Meera's side was going to be the best.

"Well Ms.Nanda, it does concern me because I am the DJ and am required to compile a list of music before hand to ensure that the program runs smoothly without any technical difficulties. Second, I know you have choreographed most of the performances and I need an act tonight because apparently being the DJ isn't enough."

"So? You can dance. Figure it out. I put acts together for all the aunty uncles."

"Do it with me!!! Please Ariya. Pretty please."

"Give me one solid reason why I, the great Ariya Nanda, should dance with you," I smirked.

"I'm hot and irresistable," he said fanning his face.

"Alright, yeah. Goodbye!" I walked back out.

Eyeing me as I came out, Ma brought me into the middle of the dancing circle. Aunties swarmed around us as we danced to the traditional song together. At the same time, Meera was having haldi applied to her.

I winked, dipping my fingers into the haldi, "Aww your face is going to glow after I rub all this stuff on you."

"Hurry up, Ariya. This is more uncomfortable it looks," she whined through the smile.

"Ok, then what do I do?" Meera guided me through first applying the oil to her feet, knees, arm, shoulders, and face up and down. I then had to repeat the same with haldi.

These wedding rituals were actually more complicated than they looked. There were so many steps involved to each ceremony and all of them held religious significance. Watching Meera cringe as Aisha applied haldi to her strengthened my belief that getting married takes too much effort. I retieritratted my thought to Aisha. "What you don't notice is the glow on her face. Her dream is coming true," she lectured.

"Yeah? If your so pro marriage for this stuff, then you're next." I rolled my eyes.

"Ariya," an aunty called. She motioned towards her phone. "Your choreography is amazing. I love this...I just can't seem to get this one step."

"Oh Aunty, don't you worry! Ariya will teach you everything. You'll shine tonight!" Vicky appeared on her other side munching on finger food.

She nodded eagerly, "And who are you dancing with?"