twenty-one

In all honesty I didn't know what to think about the whole Jerry thing. It was close to one in the morning, and I'm nowhere near to falling asleep. I closed my eyes but grew in more frustration which lead me to bolting up and towards to grab my shoes. I fumbled and walked outside my room.

Now here is where I feel this is where it gets cliché, middle of the night, horror scene stuff. Everything was quiet, to the point I can hear my self breathe. I walked slowly, until I officially make it out of the den. Now here is the best and worst part of living in Los Angeles, the night. I could hear silent police sirens off the distance, I walked and had my hood up (thank god I was wearing sweats, it was pretty breezy), and continued down road until I meet street lights. They were dim, and strange people walked around every now and then, glancing at me and continuing walking.

Breathe. I repeat to myself.

I didn't really have a destination, but from the distance I saw a McDonald's, and that's the direction I was going towards. I mentally thought about returning to the den but my ego says no.

Laughter is what I heard to my left, the other side of the street. I looked over and a group of guys, drunk most likely, stopped and looked at me.

"Hey man! What you doing all by yourself, you tough or something?" one man shouts.

I quickly pick up my pace, and I continued walking without glancing.

"Aye man! We're talking to you!" they start to shout and now they're crossing the street towards me, and I pick up my pace. "We just want to be friends!" I hear footsteps behind me speeding up and suddenly now I book it across the street.

"He's running, get him!" another shouts.

I sprint as fast as I could, and suddenly something (more like someone) grabs my shirt and and turns me around. I see a short man, barely taller than me staring down at me.

"What's the hurry man?" he asks.
I shook my head and looked around, helpless. Man why do I have to be so stupid?

"Well you're running away from us, what do you got to hide?" he asks another question.

"Just leave me alone, I just wanted to get something to eat," I stuttered. All his friends now crowd around us, and I really now start to panic.

One gets closer to me, "that means you have money."

I shoved off the guy that had me and I stand back, "I don't want any trouble, I seriously fucking mean it."

"Oh he's a tough guy now," one laughs.

"Really how tough are you?" snickers the the guy in front of me. "Let's see how tough you are."

And without hesitation I pulled out my gun and shot without a blink of an eye. Blood spurts out and he lays lifeless.

"He's got a gun!" yells a guy. They all ran, and I stared at the lifeless body. I started to cry and I begin to run back towards the den making sure I didn't see any witnesses.

What's wrong with me? I've killed someone before, but not anyone without any sort of protection... But who knew what he was going to do to me! I was scared!

I thought about his lifeless body, and blood everywhere and now I had a sudden urge to throw up. I stopped running and threw up, and sobbed out loud. After puking, almost my guts out, I continued walking and I felt really dizzy. I continued walking, and walking until I fumbled in my feet and fell face flat on the floor. I lied there for a few moments, everything felt like it was spinning.

"Hey are you okay?" I hear faintly. I looked up and saw a pretty tall old man staring down at me, "son, you alright?"

"Yeah, yeah. I just...fell, " I mumbled, and slowly got up and looked at him, "thank you."