Chapter 1 - Arriving at Sunrise Residence

Sometimes, I wish I could turn back time...

My eyes glaze over the passing buildings with a blur. Everything was moving so fast, so calming. The low clatter of the train tracks and the small bumps in the road were the only sounds that kept me awake. The empty train car glowed in the moonlight. Everything quiet. That was when I closed my eyes and checked my bag. My wallet, phone, new phone for Ema, and my charged gun helped make me feel at peace. I was surprised when I got Rintarou's call yesterday morning.

Flashback

"You aren't doing it right Mako-kun."I groan as I point at the Algebra problem.

"Ah, gomen. I'll get it right this time."

"You better. The interview is this Saturday and if you don't pass you won't be able to become a teacher."

Makoto sighed and sent me a determined smile. He started working on the problem while I opened my laptop. Makoto was one of my oldest friends, the two of us were sitting in a cafe trying to catch up on work. That was when my phone started vibrating in my pocket.

"I better take this. Hold on..."

I walked out of the cafe and took the call. I put the phone up to my ear, the voice on the other line shocking me.

"Hello? Saki?"

"Rintarou-san? Why are you calling me?"

It surprised me that Rintarou would call me at a time like this. I haven't seen him in two years, although I have heard about him getting married. And Ema, I haven't heard from her in two years as well. That brunette did not have a backbone the last time I saw her. Always falling for flirts or finding someone to help her with every little thing. I hope she's changed.

"Ah, so you still remember me. Great, I just wanted to ask for a favor-"

"Favor my ass. You haven't talked to me in two years and the first thing you ask me for is a favor? No 'How are you?' no, 'You doin' okay?'."

"Gomen, its just about my daughter. She moved in with my wife's sons and I worry about her..."

"It's not like they'd rape her man. The worst they'd do is tease her."

"Have you met them?"

"No, but they're her brothers. They care about her. Now...about that favor."

"You seriously still want to hear me talk?"

"If you don't want to talk I'll just hang up."

"No need for that now Saki-chan. I just wanted to ask you if you could...live with Ema."

"Wait wait wait...Live with Ema? You mean Ema and her brothers? Won't I just get in the way? And why am I even asking this? I wouldn't accept this favor. No way, no how."

"Fine. I demand you live with her."

"Bold words old man."

"I'm serious. She needs a feminine role model. You are the strongest person I know and you are very close to her age."

"Your daughter needs to learn how to have a backbone. You can't shield her from the all negatives in life."

"As I said, I demand you live with her. You wouldn't want anyone to know about your...part-time job."

"...You've gone too far Rintarou. Blackmailing me like that...well played. Fine, I'll live with her. But you need to pay for the moving truck, my train ticket, and compensation for my ride."

"What have you done now Saki?"

"I rammed it into a semi."

"You need to take better care of yourself. I know you may think I'm using you. But I really care about you. You need to stay safe."

"You haven't seen me in years, why would you care about me?"

"...Just remember what I did when I first met you. Thank you Saki."

With that Rintarou hung up and I stood outside the cafe. The droplets of rain hitting the ground with a small thud...why did this need to happen now?

Flashback Ends

"Idiot."I sigh.

I check the map above me and stand up. The train doors open and I enter the empty station. The street light above me flickers as I walk down the empty neighborhood street. My deep navy blue sweater and white shorts that went to my thigh felt a little too revealing in this cool weather. I put on my black beanie and tilted my head down. I hear a few drunk men staggering and laughing down the street ahead of me and I quicken my pace. My black converse scrapping the asphalt. I felt an large hand grab my arm and pull me against a wall. My eyes darken, my perusers looking at me with smirks all over their mouths.

"What's a lovely lady like you doing out her in the middle of the night?"

I roll my eyes and kick the man where the sun doesn't shine. The other two standing behind him lunge towards me, but I shift to the side. Their drunken states forgot that they were in front of a brick wall and immidently hit their heads. I shrug my shoulders and walk away.

"Idiots like you three should burn in hell."I state as I walk to the building where I would not call home.

I stood in front of a building, filled to the brim with condominiums. Large fancy letters spelling out 'Sunrise Residence' covered a wall. My hands instantly pushed the gate open and I head inside. My blue hair swayed as I walked into what looked like a room filled with mailboxes. The elevator door suddenly opens and a man with brown hair and brown eyes walks out. He turns to me and smiles.

"Hello, you must be Saki-chan."

I nod my head and he carries on talking.

"My name is Masaomi, the eldest brother. Follow me, the others are waiting for you."

I nod again and he frowns slightly as we walk into the elevator.

"Not much of a talker are you."

I just glance up at him, his brown eyes filled with both curiosity and worry. I shake my head and we head up to the fifth floor. I made a mental note in my mind when I see a living room and a conjoined dining room. The voice of men made me cringe internally.

'So many men in one day...'

"When is she coming? We've been waiting here for an hour."

"Remember, she lives in Iwatobi. So calm down Tsubaki."

"I just wonder what Ema's friend is like."

"Everyone. Saki is here."announces Masaomi.

I reach the railing and look down at the brothers below me. I follow Masaomi down the stairs and stand in front of the TV.

"Hi there Saki-chan! It's been a while."smiles Ema.

I nod and look at the five others in this room. Masaomi, a man with blond hair and glasses, a man with dark blue hair and glasses, a man with white hair, and a man with red hair about Ema's age.

"This is Saki Yamamoto, my childhood friend."introduces Ema.

I smile internally as I watch her. I'm glad she remembers that I don't talk to people when I first meet them. I am just cold at first as what that would say. Ema smiles at me when our eyes connect.

"She's 19 years old and she's a Youtuber, actress, and model. She doesn't really talk at first but she'll warm up to you guys."

I nod and she leads me to a seat next to her. The brothers in the room look at me curiously. That was when the elevator opens.

'Speak of the devil.'