Great Hall, Sorting Hat

Chapter 5: Great Hall, Sorting Hat:

McGonagall escorted the students in.
The students spotted four long tables with people sitting at each one, wearing black pointy hats. Each person has table settings in front of them. Lit candles float from the ceiling, which looked just like the night sky.

"It's not real, the ceiling. It's just bewitched to look like the night sky. I read about it in Hogwarts History," stated a girl who seems like she's a know-it-all.

A hat sits at the front on a stool in center stage. The professors all sit at the front of the room in a U shape.

"Can you wait here a moment, please? Now before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words," said McGonagall.

"I have a few start of term notices I wish to announce. The first years, please note that the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also our caretaker, Mr. Filch," he spoke as he pointed him out across the room, "has asked me to remind you that the third floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death," announced Dumbledore casually.

The students are dumbfounded. Ebony clutched her dog at the thought of dying on her first year. Some of the students are terrified.

"Thank you," he finished sitting down in his chair.

"When I call your name, you will come forth, I shall place the Sorting Hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses." said McGonagall.

"Hermione Granger." called McGonagall.

A girl walked forward slowly and sat on the stool. McGonagall placed the hat on her head.

"Ah, Right then. Hmm. Right okay. Gryffindor!" yelled the sorting hat.

Hermione takes a seat on the Gryffindor table while the students cheered and applauded. They welcomed her into the group.

"Draco Malfoy!" McGonagall yelled.

He walked forward slowly and took a seat on the stool. McGonagall hovered the hat over his head.

Without touching him, the sorting hat calls, "Slytherin!!" as he read Draco's aura.

The Slytherin table cheered and applauded.

"There's not a witch or wizard in Slytherin that didn't go bad," noted Ron as Draco sat at the Slytherin table.

"Susan Bones," said McGonagall.

She walked up and sat on the stool.

"Hmm. Where should I put you? Let's see. I know. Hufflepuff." He says.

She stood up and joined the Hufflepuff table. They cheered as she sat down beside them.

"Ronald Weasley!" shouted McGonagall.

He walked slowly to the stool. He sat down afraid of the answer. "Ha! Another Weasley. I know just what to do with you. Gryffindor!" shouted the hat.

He let out a relieved sigh. His twin brothers and Percy clapped and stood for him, as the Gryffindor table cheered and applauded. Harry smiled. Ron joined his siblings at the table.

"Harry Potter." McGonagall stated.

Everyone is quiet when people hear Harry Potter from McGonagall.

"It's him. It's Harry Potter!" a voice is heard in the crowd. Harry became nervous as he sat in the chair.

"Hmm. Difficult. Very difficult. Plenty of courage I see, not a bad mind either. There's talent. Oh yes! And a thirst to prove yourself, but where to put you," said the sorting hat thinking his options through.