Chapter 26

-Mike-
It was the day after I had done my presentation in assembly and things had mostly progressed in their normal pattern. Today, as Vic and I walked up to our separate groups of friends, everyone seemed hyper. This was a given, seeing as it was our last week of high school.
"What's going on?" I asked my friends, joining the group by the front entrance.
"Prom tickets just went on sale," Jack Barakat informed me excitedly, putting his arm around Alex and smiling down at him.
"Oh that's cool. Do you all have dates?" I wanted to know, giving a glance over where Tony stood, the girl excitedly hugging him. I just managed to catch a snippet of what was being said.
"We're going to prom together," she squealed and Tony placed a kiss on her lips, causing the recurring wave of jealousy I had come to know too well wash over me.
I tore my gaze away to listen to what the guys were saying.
"Well, I'm going with this girl Jess I met and of course jalex are going together, Tyler's going with Jenna-" Jaime rambled, at high speed before I cut him off.
"So basically everyone, but me?" I asked awkwardly, chewing my lip and glancing back over at Tony.
"Yeah, pretty much," Jaime replied, not picking up on my depleted mood. Austin rolled his eyes at Jaime's insensitive reply and slapped a hand over his mouth.
"It's okay, Mike. I know you wanted to go with Tony, but I bet that Ellie girl is still interested," Austin said comfortingly, slinging his arm around my shoulder.
"Nah, I don't think I'll go," I said softly in response as the bell rang and people began to scatter in all directions. My eyes stayed fixed on Tony, moving through the crowd. I wished more than anything that I could take him to prom.
When I got home from school that night, Kellin and Vic were making Nutella sandwiches and dancing around the kitchen to blink 182. I dropped my bag on the seat of the breakfast bar and slumped into the seat beside it.
"Hey, Mike, what's up?" Vic asked, placing a Nutella and marshmallow fluff sandwich in front of me and turning down the music just a bit so we could talk.
"I can't go to prom," I sighed.
"Why not?" Kellin asked, putting his arm around Vic.
"Because Tone is going with that girl, isn't he?" I replied, resting my chin on my hand.
There was a kind of guilty silence showing they felt bad for me.
"Kellin, do you ever leave?" I asked suddenly, smirking.
"No, not really," he said, honestly, causing us all to laugh.
"Look, Mike, you can still go without a date and have a good time," Vic told me, patting my shoulder.
"I don't really want to," I informed him, taking a bite of my sandwich.
"Too bad, mama already bought u a ticket and told me to tell you to stop being a whiny little brat and go," Kellin laughed, eating some of his own sandwich.
I groaned dramatically and took my sandwich upstairs to watch old tv shows from the 90s on Netflix. I loved watching these kind of programs. It was like looking at the world today with the slightest tilt. The tiniest changes like the camera quality and what they wore and things like that, made it like stepping into a universe with only the slightest abnormalities and in some ways that made it more unrealistic.
A/N: just a little filler. Only two more chapters. Hope you're enjoying your weekend and thanks for reading.