Chapter 2

Thanks for the amazing cover, LoveShit33 !! I love it :)
______________________________________________________
"Hey, Sophie.", someone called out. I glanced upwards and saw Keith, who was leaning against a wall, now straightened up and came towards me. I wanted to roll my eyes, but I concealed my irritation and asked," What's up?" He walked along," Sorry for creeping you out like that."

I nodded," Yeah that's okay". He continued,"But it's true. I've been searching for you. You're my mission."

I stopped and looked at him,"Hey, hero. You sure you're not stoned?"  He paused for a moment, his eyes asking me if I'd gone crazy. He scowled,"No, I'm not!"

My eyes scrolled up and down at him, as if to make sure he wasn't lying. "Wha--", he put his hands up, "I'm serious." I snapped,"You were searching for me? Do you have any idea how inane you sound right now?"

He shook his head as if telling that you're so naïve, you don't understand. He smiled his smile again,"Yeah, you. You're not like everyone, Sophie. You're different. You and me, we're different." I raised my eyebrows at him and sped off. "Wait!", he followed me,"You need to know! The time has come!" I smirked, "Yeah, the time has come for you to get lost." I steered into an alley, the one I usually used as a shortcut.

All of a sudden, he pulled my hand and pushed me to the wall. His eyes fixated on me,    "Will you listen to me!! We've been called! We cannot waste anytime!" By now, I was completely angry. "First off, don't you touch me." I pushed him onto the ground. "Second, I don't know what are you talking about. Leave me alone. Talk to me again, I swear I'll make you regret it." He stayed on the ground looking up at me. "If only you would understand", his voice echoed as I sprinted home.

We're different, he had said. Different. I flipped through my homework book but only what he said was playing on my mind.

The time has come. We've been called. Called by who?

I stopped thinking about it much when my mom walked into my room. She handed me a tiny parcel and said, "A weird boy asked me to give this to you."

I eyed the box and nodded,"Thanks." I think she noticed my confusion as she bent,         " Hey, what's wrong?" I shook my head,"Oh nothing. Just a little headache." She muttered something about me being always on the computer before exiting the room.

I locked myself in the room and slowly unwrapped the parcel. The brown paper was crushed and easy to remove. A dark blue box came to light. I examined the surface, which seemed very smooth, and felt like stone. I noticed a hinge at the side and opened the lid.

There was a chain inside. A platinum one. It had a dollar in the shape of a butterfly. More like angel wings. Huh? A chain? I almost closed the box in haste when I saw a slight glisten. I examined the butterfly-angel thing, it was made of real diamond.

This Keith dude, what is his problem? What does this mean? If this all was an attempt to woo me, man, I've lost all hope in mankind. I decided to pretend that I never did get the box and hid it under my bed.

I logged onto Facebook and saw that I had two new messages. One was Catherine's and the other, well, Keith's.

I clicked on Cathy's chatbox where she squealed about how Drew made her a bouquet. Drew was her neighbour, who apparently was so in love with her that he penned down his feelings in a song and sang it to her every single day. Sometimes he would throw stones at her window just to say Good Night.

I remember this one evening when me and Cathy were baking a cake for her little brother's birthday. Drew walked into the kitchen to borrow some tomatoes supposedly. "Don't you like have a tomato plant?" Catherine snapped, making him grin wider. "Thank you, Juliet.", he winked at her as he left. My mouth dropped to the floor,"Juliet?" She just shrugged, "He's crazy."

Well after a few months, I guess Catherine realised that she 'resonated' his feelings too and now they won't stop gushing over each other. Let me tell you one thing, their love isn't contagious at all. It doesn't make me go Awww so cute, it rather makes me want to puke because of all the physical contact. Of course I don't tell her that, her happiness is my happiness.

I didn't tell her anything about Keith, or the chain. It's not like I didn't want to, I just don't think it's that important. We chatted for an hour before she logged off for her millionth date with Drew.

I scrolled through the News Feed, bored to death. Pictures flashed by. Family outings. College reunions.

  Feels good to be out of the bustling city and to take in the tranquility of nature at Phuket, said a status accompanying a photo of two well pedicured feet slightly buried in light-brown sand, clear blue water lashing all around.

My cursor hovered over Keith's message. I sighed and clicked on it. Heya, was all that it said. I purposefully didn't reply to give him the hint that I was ignoring him.

Tomorrow will be a better day, I mused to myself as I fell into a deep sleep.
____________________________________________________________
Author's Note :

What's up with this enigmatic Keith? Sophie, who he's never met before, is suddenly his mission?

To all the silent readers out there, please do vote and comment. I will be starting dedications soon. :D

Do you guys think that the story is a bit draggy?

Let me hear your opinions. Any, in fact. :)

Add this to your reading list to get notified when there's any update or when you've been tagged.

Happy reading! :D

Affi ❤️