Chapter 19

Huh? Am I missing something here?

Keith had let go of me and he stood straight, his fingers curled in a fist, staring dead eyed at Ophelia, who now let out a tiny squeal and dropped the watering can. She fled towards the house, the door banging in the process. "Wait here." He mumbled under his breath. And then he disappeared.

Of course I wasn't going to stand there and wait to see what's going to happen. I put on a hoodie over my light t-shirt even though it was hot as hell, but I had some kind of obsession with jackets so yeah.

I paced to the Rowland's and just when I was about to knock, the door opened and I tripped and fell inside. Their Jetta wasn't here so maybe Ron and Tammy had gone out. Just perfect. I pushed myself up from smelling the ground and shut the door silently when I heard some yelling from the hall.

I peeped in and Keith held Ophelia by her neck, mid air, and by the look on Ophelia's face, her breath was draining and fast. His eyes bore into her, filled with hatred and anger.

I let out a tiny squall as he immediately dropped her on the ground. She fell down with a thud and groaned as she rubbed her neck.

"The gall you had to betray me. After all I did for you." His husky voice came out in a whisper. "AFTER ALL I DID FOR THE LIKES OF YOU!" He bellowed angrily and Ophelia closed her eyes quickly, waiting for the next blow. She started to get back up slowly but Keith stopped her,"Stay down. Stay the hell down!" She slumped back onto the floor, slightly trembling.

"I had no choice." She croaked.

"What did you say?!"

"I HAD NO CHOICE!" Now it was her turn to scream. Tears were slightly welling up and she kept sniffing. I chose to hide behind the wall and not make them aware of my presence. I needed to hear what exactly was happening.

"No choice?" He scoffed. "So your only choice was to kill my mother? My innocent mother?"

The hell?

"Look. You need to understand. If I hadn't, then the Negative Crest would've burst and then we would've all died anyways. Had the NightMaires won the first time, the world would've been a hellhole. Some sacrifices had to be made!" She fought back, trying to reason with him.

"Sacrifice? So my mother was a sacrifice to you? Just because she was a NightMaire? But do you know, not once, not once did she harness any Red Matter except her first time, because she was afraid to harm others. She cared for everyone! And you swoop in and sacrifice her."

Ophelia now just glared at him. "You mean- oh my god. She never?" She looked surprised and covered her face with her hands. "I'm so sorry. I didn't know. Oh god, there would've been any difference had I killed her or not. I'm so sorry, Keith. I'm so sorry."

He stared at her in disbelief,"That's why I hate you DreamMaires and Linxes. Take up this goal to 'clear the world of all evil'. All this, to just restore the balance in the world? You made me feel special, made me feel different, made me feel like I can finally trust someone. All this, to get close to my mom and then finish her off? I loved you. I LOVED YOU GODDAMNIT!"

"Oh god, Keith. I loved you too, so so much. That wasn't a lie. But I had no other choice. Please, please forgive me." She pleaded, facing the matted floor.

They knew each other? They were in love? She killed his mother? His mother was a NightMaire? Oh good lord.

"Oh, shut the bloody hell up, you ungrateful witch." He spit on the ground in front of her.

Urgh. I don't know what came over me but I walked into the hall, slowly and silently. They both snapped their heads towards me, Ophelia's eyes were wide with horror and Keith mirrored her look. "When did you-" He started to question me but Ophelia's high pitch voice cut him off.

"So you think you're such an angel? Did you tell her why you were here? Why exactly you wanted her spirit?" She got up, brushing dust from her pink tee and spoke with a new found confidence. "You're a betrayer nonetheless, Keith. A betrayer. Just to win your war."

I narrowed my eyes at her. What was she blabbering about? He said he needed it for the DreamMaires to win. He said he need it for the good side to win. Yeah, I didn't exactly understand why he wanted to support the other side but does that mean- Damn, what if he lied? What if he actually needed it for his kind to win?

"Don't." He sent daggers at her with his gaze.

"Don't what? Don't tell her that you're going to use her to win it? Don't tell her that you're going to sacrifice her too?" She smirked at him, smiling like a child on Christmas. She clearly enjoyed seeing the completely pissed off look on Keith.

Use me to win the war? Sacrifice?

Oh fudge. I was right. He lied to me.

Before I could react to this new piece of information, Keith DreamLashed at her and she immediately turned into a grey pile of ash on the red mat. She didn't have shock or fear on her face before disintegrating. More like she was expecting it, welcoming it. She was obviously satisfied by whatever she said.

I looked at him with red in my eyes, tears planning to make a reappearance. Just when I decided to give him a chance, give him a chance to prove himself that he could be trusted, he goes ahead and does this. And what was worse that it broke me inside. I didn't know it meant so much to me, but I felt a sharp pain and I glared at him. "Whatever she said, is it true?"

"Soph-"

"Keith, IS IT TRUE?"

His slight nod was all I needed to storm out of the house.
_____________________________________________
Author's Note :

I don't even know what to say. xD Anyone of you guessed this before?
If you did, then hats off to you! XP

So now we know Keith's history. :O

Hope this wasn't too disappointing, lol.

As always,

VOTE|COMMENT|FAN

Cheers! xoxo

Affi 💖