Chapter 29

Dedicated to MythriPrakash for being the awesomest friend :)
________________________________________

"I trusted you." I croaked, tears flowing endlessly, in a last attempt to stop him, in a last attempt to make him regret his actions.

"You shouldn't have. I shouldn't have asked you to. I'm so sorry, I didn't know. Sophie, I didn't know I was supposed to hurt you." I heard him plead, which made me peek through my grief stricken eyes. I think I saw a glisten in his too, or maybe it was just my salt liquids fooling me. Sure, he didn't know. He was freaking Chavez all the time, he knew he had to be the one to kill me. A part of me wished he didn't, a part of me hoped that this was all a lie and Keith was actually telling the truth now, but it's too late.

"Be done with it. I cannot bear listening to you anymore." I tried to breath calmly and prepared for my impending doom.

My eyes flew open as he caressed my cheeks all of a sudden, and spoke softly, "No, don't cry, not because of me. I swear I didn't know. Everything has changed now, I'm not the evil person that I was."

Strange, that's exactly what my dad said.

"Sophie, you've changed me. You change people in ways they don't even realise. You're..magical."

I stared into his eyes, searching for any truth in them.

Fyra frowned from the side,"I'm so touched. Okay, enough with all the drama. You know you have no choice. Just do it already, Chavez. You don't want to die, right? Think about it. Supreme leader, eh?"

Keith looked at me helplessly, his eyes flickering. "You promised to protect me." I begged him for mercy, I begged as if it was the last thing I would say, like it's the last thing I would do. It was the last thing anyways.

He didn't say anything as he again cupped his hands above me. A look of victory flashed across Thanatos' and Fyra's faces.

I heard Keith murmur some words, and as if on cue, pain spread across my body, my stomach punched me from the inside. I convulsed in response, but Keith held me down with his legs. He continued and the pain grew, it felt as if my soul was being taken from me forcefully. I peeked through my clouded tears, when Keith all of a sudden, stopped. He leaned down and whispered into my ears, "I'm sorry."

The pain was ebbing now, as Keith jumped onto his feet, alerting Thanatos. "You evil witch!" He roared in anger, as he unleashed his Red Matter at Fyra, which was unusually white, piercing her very soul. I heard a scream and behold, ash replaced the spot where Fyra's old self stood crookedly.

"WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?", Thanatos bellowed, holding the ash in his hand, "YOU UNGRATEFUL WRETCH, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?" Keith was on the floor, panting out of breath. He came forward and kicked Keith to one corner of the room, evoking a grunt. I tried moving, but I felt like I was paralysed, much like the night when Morpheus paid me a little visit.

Meanwhile, Keith groaned in pain. Blood gushed out of his mouth, his previous wounds had been reopened now. Thanatos was on fire now, Red Matter literally engulfed him as he cupped his hands and aimed at Keith, not before growling, "I'll never forget this." I screamed without any voice as the Red Matter enveloped Keith, like highlighting an aura, and I could hear Thanatos roar in anger. For fifteen long seconds, the flame didn't seem to stop and the hopes of seeing Keith decreased likewise. Suddenly, it was all over. The Red Matter stopped.

I looked over, expecting to see Keith's ash, but no, there he was, although more burnt, breathing heavily, taking in much needed air.

I regained my movements, anger fuming through me. They tried to kill Keith, my Keith. I wouldn't let this happen. I wouldn't let him die. Thanatos had his back turned to me, probably wondering how the hell did Keith not disintegrate.

I felt myself blazing in blue, wrath clouding my senses and my thoughts.

Kill, an inner voice said.

As if that was the trigger I needed, I cupped my hands and with all my might,unravelled every bit of Blue Matter I owned. It striked Thanatos with a white sheen, which let out a weird glow when Thanatos turned back and realised that his end was near.

He turned into white ash immediately and disappeared into the ground. I fell back now, the energy I had draining out. My breathing was erratic and I tried looking at Keith with my bleary sight.

"S-S-Sophie." I heard him whisper. He was rolling in pain, his mouth open in an effort to talk. He motioned to me to come towards him. I immediately got down and half crawled to him, thanks to my paralysed feet. When I reached him, he fell into my lap and gazed into my eyes, his as hypnotising as ever. "No, don't die, please don't leave me, Keith." I begged him, my tears falling onto his cheek.

"Don't cry, princessa. I can't see you like that. Besides, the salt is hurting my bruises even more." He laughed at the last part, which made him cough hard instead. I chuckled once before smacking him softly.

"You're real beautiful, you know." He said, more of a statement than a question. "Why are you talking like this?",I shook my head, "You're not going anywhere, I won't let you." He smiled faintly before even that disappeared.

"That chain there." He pointed to my neck, "Do you know why it's so special?"

"No?" I looked at him, unsure of what he was getting at.

"It has a piece of my soul, Sophie."

I couldn't believe him. I held the pendant as if my life depended on it. "What do you mean?"

"My soul felt your pain. That's how it always called out to me. That's how I knew when you were in danger."

"Oh god. You could've just taken my spirit. Just don't die."

He tucked one of my stray strands behind my ear, "I swore I would protect you forever."

"But why?" I looked at him pleadingly.

He placed his cheek against my palm as he got out four last words,"Because you were my Unforgiven Dream."
___________________________________
Author's Note :

I'm here to clarify why my book is named so.
Unforgiven dreams, not referring to the perverted meaning lol, has been mentioned before in this novel too.
It is basically a dream where the Spark Lady tells you what you need to hear and shows you your destiny.
Previously, in Sophie's dream, she saw Keith, which means Keith is her destined love.
As seen in the last line, Keith had seen this dream too where he realised that he actually loved Sophie, unfortunately I couldn't figure out where to input this fact.

So there it is, Unforgiven Dreams, a love story between two fantastical/mythical beings fighting to stay alive and together.

Many many thanks for reading this book, you have no idea how much I appreciate this. :)

VOTE|COMMENT|FAN

Cheers! xoxo

Affi ❤️