Chapter 10

My favourite part of having guests over is the after-they-leave part. The exquisite feeling when you are relieved of your high-end clothes can never match anything else. My normal ones now begged me to take them back and I welcomed their warm embrace.

I huffed as I got a phone call while I found ways to balance myself, with one leg into my light blue denim shorts and a solid cream shirt waiting to be tucked in. It kept ringing for a whole minute, and I hurried towards it after managing to stand straight.

"Hi.", Catherine said on the other end.
"Heyyyy!!", I chirped. She seemed rather down though, her enthusiasm was nowhere to be seen.
"Can you come home?"
"Now?" We'd planned to meet tomorrow and my plans for today was to binge watch How I Met Your Mother, snuggling in my blankets.
"Yeah, now."
"What's up? Something wrong?" Her dead behaviour worried me.
"No, nothing. Just come as soon as possible." To hell with my me-time, this girl needed me.
"Alright. I'll be there in ten. Do you need me to-", she cut the call before I could finish myself.

Funny. She never does that.

I put on some brown ankle boots and a black jacket. I yelled from the foyer,"I'm going over to Cathy's, mom! Be back in an hour!!"

I was expecting a simple one-worded reply but I guess I provoked a tsunami."But you're supposed to help me clean today! Why're you so irresponsible, you're always outside! It's time you focus only on your studies, Fia. How many times do I have to--"

"Only once, mom, only once.", I groaned back. "I'm sorry, but only this time. I love you!". I played the love-you-mom card and didn't even wait to hear what she was going to say before bursting outside the door.

I debated on getting something to eat as I passed by the supermarket. Eh, it's only an hour. I'll buy popcorn on the way back.

I rang the doorbell but nobody opened. It was so quiet. Weird. Cathy's English-styled villa that looked like it came from the 1800's was always bustling with noise. Her family had probably gone to the city fair. For a major part of her life, one thing that Catherine hated was - fairs. Something about falling from a horse ride and getting pushed around by the crowds when she was like five.

I knocked now but found that the door was unlocked. It creaked open slightly as I pushed it a bit. "Uh, hello?", my voice echoed throughout the hallway. "Cathy? It's me, Sophie."

"Up here.", I heard a faint voice from the direction of her room. The atmosphere was so silent that the tiniest squeal would send it breaking into a million pieces around me. Her room door was slightly ajar and I reluctantly pushed it open.

I immediately wished I didn't.

"Well, that was fast.", a horrid mouth sneered at me.

Morpheus.

I stood, frozen on spot. Catherine lay sprawled across the floor, with the red-eyed monster's filthy foot on her back. He pressed harder now, which made her groan in pain. Her face was pale, blood trailed out of her mouth. She had a look on her face which was unknown to me. A look of helplessness. Defeat.

"Get off her!!", I scowled and charged towards him. He held me easily by my hands and stamped on her harder. Another groan. They were like daggers to my chest.

"Bloody bastard!" I pushed him now with all my might and he fell back, hitting the wall in the process. "Ooo, feisty.", he smirked as he brushed the spots where I'd punched him out.

I ignored him and I immediately fell down to Catherine. I took her in my arms and pleaded,"Please, Cathy, stay with me. Come on, damn it! Stay with me!" She'd lost the strength to keep her eyes open and they rolled around in chaos.

"So-so-Sophie..", she stuttered. "Yeah, yeah. I'm right here Cathy!", tears were streaming off my cheek and a few fell on hers. She cupped my face and whispered,"Believe in yourself." And her body went limp on my lap.

"Cathy?", my voice broke,"Cathy! Come back!!"

Morpheus' irking sneer reached my ears,"It's too late."

A white and glittery smoke escaped Cathy's lips and made its way to Morpheus's hands. He held it as if it was something animate.

"Bring her back! Please!!", I begged. My eyes were clouded with tears but I could see him smirking before kneeling in front of me. "Uh...nope.", he said as he popped the 'p'.
He got up and continued staring at my helpless condition.

This foul inglorious asshole. So he thinks he can do whatever he wants? My fists clenched as I seethed in anger. What does he think of himself?

"Shut up."

"What did you say, little girl?" You could sense the mirth in his voice.

"Shut the hell up."

"Oh, I'm so scared." Sarcasm dripped from his every word.

"Leave. Us. Alone. Or else." I placed Catherine slowly on the floor as I got up. I now spoke through gritted teeth.

"Or else?", he drawled.

All of a sudden, I felt something in my hands. Like a denser air. I looked at them and there was a small blue flame glowing, which strangely didn't burn me. I pushed him against his lanky chest now and sparks flew.

He quivered now, "Please, please don't do this."

"Do what?", I raised one eyebrow, smirking my best smirk. Energy swept through me and I felt so free and strong now.

I cupped my hands and re-enacted the kamekameha. As I opened it, the blue flame stroked him with full force. The fire engulfed him completely."I cannot believe this.", I heard him say before he turned into a pile of ash.

I fell down, breathless. The energy that kept me going all this while slowly drained out. I took quick breaths and watched the world slowly fading. I blinked wildly and the adrenaline started to lessen. I heard a voice echoing my name as everything turned pitch black.
_____________________________________________
Author's Note:

Whoooaaaaaaa!!!! Now this took an interesting turn. X)
Wow, I've improved in the size of my chapters. :) So yay!

How are you guys finding it?

Heads up - Next chapter will be in Keith's P.O.V 😁

Reminding you about the dedications and taking reading requests. :P

VOTE|COMMENT|FAN

Cheers! xoxo

Affi ❤️