Chapter 30

Remember to vote if you think this book is good enough to win the Wattys 2016.
_______________________________________
His body went limp on me and I started jerking him up in panic. When he didn't respond, my eyes went wide with horror and screeched,"NOOOOOOOOOO!"

I didn't notice Dad and Marjorie rushing in to pick me up. I wailed as they dragged me away from him, out of the room, despite my repeated attempts to break free. "We cannot leave him, we can't!" I pleaded as I was pushed into the sleigh.

Marjorie looked at my dad for his approval, and he nodded briefly before both of them shuffled away to get Keith. He lay on my lap, still and lifeless as the sleigh rocked violently before taking off. Dad held me by my side and whispered words of condolences, which didn't stop the stream of tears.

I couldn't stop thinking about what he said. I couldn't stop thinking about him, and whatever happened between us before. The things he used to say, that he would never hurt me, started making more sense to me now. He was just a boy hopelessly in love with a weird girl like me. I just happened to be the DreamMaker. Till today, I've always tried to stop myself from falling in love and stop others to develop any feelings for me. I was scared, I was scared of love, knowing it can hurt.I knew I wasn't worth it and I didn't want to disappoint anyone. But now, now I know. I can't hide this fact anymore, I can't deny it anymore. I love him. I love Keith.

Please, please wake up so I can tell you this. Say anything, even if it's a sarcastic remark or an insult. I don't mind your sardonic smiles anymore, I want to see you smirk again. I miss you.

The sleigh glided furiously through the hot atmosphere and I could see Datrins running helter-skelter, now that their leader was no more. In no time we crashed into the Upper World and I still didn't stop weeping. Keith's head lolled back as Dad and I pulled him upright.

Gabriel soon appeared, hovering above us. Marjorie looked at him in grief, giving him the hint that although we defeated the NightMaires, it wasn't a very happy ending. Especially for me.

"He shall be remembered always, this hero, and will live forever among us." Was all he stated, bowing his head a tiny bit. I know this wasn't the funeral I was expecting, in fact, I didn't want one at all. My mind couldn't get over the truth that Keith was truly gone and there was no way he would be back.

Sophie.

A voice started in my head.

God?

It is He.

What is it? Everything is over now. We won.

Yes, we did.

Then why are you talking to me? You know right, Kei- I mean, Chavez, is no more. What more do you want?

Mind your attitude, young lady.

I really don't care now.

It's because of Him I'm in this condition, if He just let my dad and I be, if he just didn't make me the DreamMaker, I wouldn't have met Keith, I wouldn't be here right now.

I want to help you. He was marginally softer now.

How?

You can bring Chavez back to life.

I gasped, as I opened my eyes and held the sleigh for support. Dad, Gabriel and Marjorie stared at me as if I'd swallowed a cockroach. I closed my eyes again.

What do you mean?

Chavez, he's the Destined One. He who cannot be killed by merely a DreamLash. But, Thanatos' Red Matter is the only thing which can be most fatal, although it doesn't turn him into ash, it completely destroys his soul.