Chapter 3

The next day, Keith came towards me. I pretended to not have seen him and continued blabbering to Cathy, twirling one of my hair strands. "Sophie.", he said as he tapped on my shoulder. I turned towards him, eyebrows raised in question. I noticed how his eyes kept bouncing from left to right, trying to convey something to me.

"I'm really sorry about everything that happened. I didn't mean to hurt you."

I shrugged. After a short pause, I sighed, "Yeah, okay." He grinned slightly and lightly punched my shoulder, "Damn, you're one aggressive woman. You scared the hell out of me yesterday!"

I smirked,"Keep that in mind next time." He smiled again, scratching the back of his head. We were interrupted by someone clearing their throat and that's when I remembered about Cathy. She probably had no idea what was going on right now.

"Um, what are you guys talking about?", she narrowed her eyes at us. Keith shook his head and said,"Ah, some stupid thing." She looked at me for more information. "It's nothing really!", I assured her and she nodded reluctantly.

We three walked down the corridor, Keith all silent but me and Cathy freaked out over the new Beyoncé album.

"Sweet potatoes!", I heard a high-pitched voice in front of me. Grace lay on the floor, her side bag graphitised with a One Direction picture, open and all kinds of makeup and accessories all around her. Jade and Liana, her two and only friends squealed and helped Grace up.

"You dimwit! Are you blind? Made me trip because of your freaking leg!", she screamed, her hands in the air. "I'm sorry, my eyes aren't trained to see skeletons.", I kept a serious look on my face, trying to suppress my smirk. From the look on Cathy's and Keith's face, it was clear that they were trying to control their laughter.

"Excuse me?! Have you even seen yourself? Filthy girl with filthy clothes. I'm sorry to break it to you, but the zombie-look isn't really the trend right now.", she crossed her arms, acting as if she said something very clever. Her sidekicks laughed, complimenting her humour.

"Well atleast I know that Zayn already left One Direction a year ago and I'm not flaunting a four year old picture of them on my bag.", I pointed at her blue side bag, still on the floor.

Her eyes widened in realisation as I visibly smirked. Keith and Cathy doubled-over in laughter and even Jade and Liana covered theirs with coughs. "Shut up, you loathsome idiots!", I heard her scowl as Keith, Cathy and I walked away giggling.

That games period, our class decided to play basketball. The leaders were arguing over the making of teams while I sat against the wall, drawing some stick figure by scraping my nails on the floor. I felt someone sit next to me and his black eyes stared into mine before his lips curled up in a smile. "What is it?", I narrowed my eyes at him. Keith chuckled a bit before saying,"Nothing, I was just fantasising about you and your future husband you've drawn there, kissing."

He laughed at his own joke and I haw-ed at him. I rolled my eyes,"Let's hope he's not as screwed up as you." He opened and closed his mouth to say something, but soon he sighed in defeat. "Soph, come on, the game is starting!", Vanessa, our team leader hollered. I got up and stood in the circle they'd formed.

"Keith? You need a special invitation now?", Zeke snapped in irritation. Keith pressed his lips together as if holding back some sarcastic remark and said," Uh, no I don't want to play."

"Yo, the teams won't be even, man! We need you!", Zeke spoke in a desperate manner. "Oh, let's leave the scaredy-cat. The baby probably already wet his pants.", I cut in, staring intently at him as his mouth curved up in a smirk. "Sophie, you have no idea how wrong you are. I can screw you guys up in seconds."

I half-rolled my eyes and murmured, "Bring it on."

With that, the game started. And Keith? Oh my goodness. He scored the first basket by doing the most beautiful lay-up ever, so smooth that it seemed as if he was gliding. "Whoa!", everyone gasped. Clearly we didn't expect this much from the new kid. And if that wasn't enough, he shot five more three-pointers, and two alleys. My team managed to score some, but it still wasn't at par with the other team's score.

21-15. What a grand way to lose. Yay. All thanks to that knucklehead.

"So, how was that, eh?", he smirked as he walked towards me.
"Shut up, you're still a baby.", I replied as I couldn't think of a smart comeback.
"Aww, you called me baby. I like that.", he said with a sardonic smile. Before I could slice him into a million pieces and bury him, Cathy intervened, wow-ing and appreciating Keith's performance, which probably boosted his ego a hundred times more.

That day was no different, school irritating the shit out of us. Keith had found a seat next to me and made making my life a living hell his lifelong dream.

I counted the minutes till I could get home and sprawl all over my comfy bed, hog on a burger and learn to play Stone Cold on the keyboard. After promising to call Cathy later, she let me go home in peace.

I walked a bit faster than usual, hoping to watch at least the last few minutes of the F.R.I.E.N.D.S episode which I'd missed yesterday. I found my mom in the garden and she waved to me wildly when she noticed me. "Fia, look!", she exclaimed, using my nickname. I still have no idea why she called me that. Fia. So different than Sophie.

I rushed and stopped right before her and examined what she was pointing to. "That's the first coconut!", she squealed in delight.

I grinned, and I looked at the tiny coconut that just started to grow. I planted this tree, 12 years ago. I caressed the branch and sighed.

12 years ago.

That's long back. 12 years ago when me and my dad planted this sapling.

Dad. Tears welled up as I got lost in old memories.
_________________________________________________
Author's Note :

Sooooo how was it?
Of course there is something sad in Sophie's past. You'll know more in the following chapter. :'(

Anyways, I noticed that the chapters have more views than the prologue. Clearly, a few people haven't read that part. Please, it isn't a filler, but the prologue is important for understanding the book later. So, if you haven't read it yet, scroll back. Thanks a million! :')

VOTE|COMMENT|FAN

I will be starting dedications from the next chapter. X)

Cheers! xoxo

Affi ❤️