Chapter 26

Dedicating this chapter to Roshani2001 for being so awesome and supporting me :) *hugs you while you awkwardly tap me like a statue*
_______________________________________

No it can't.

Pfft.

It's not even possible.

I contemplated, telling myself on and on that this was all a dream and it would go away. This really cannot be.

But sure enough, the attacker swivelled me to face him and the reality dawned upon me like the first break of sunlight in the morning. His slightly grazed chin, thick mahogany hair tousled all over and guilt flaming in his grey eyes. It was really him.

"Dad." Is all I managed to get out as my eyes filled with tears and my mind spun around like I was having a hangover. Dad shushed me as he dragged me by my waist and after kicking open a wooden door, he let me inside the room, locking it in the process.

"What are you doing here?" He enquired.

Me? Excuse me. It's not me who died in front of a four year old girl due to lung cancer and mysteriously appeared in the Dark World.

"What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be like, I don't know, dead?!" I couldn't help but be a bit harsh.

He cringed for a moment, probably thinking how to explain this melodrama to me. He sighed again and again and raked his hair with his long fingers, a habit he had when he was confused and anxious.

"It's.....complicated." He sighed again.

"Then uncomplicate it. Uncomplicate it for me, dad."

He stared deep into my eyes, caressing my cheek softly, "My little star has grown so much."

"And you weren't there to watch me." I let a tiny drop of tear fall into his hand. They were warm, giving me the feeling that he was the one I belonged to all this time.

"I watched over you. How much ever I wanted to be there to hold you, to feel you, I couldn't. I really wished to, but it just couldn't."

"But...why?"

He stopped for a moment and hesitated. His face was etched with worry and helplessness all over. "I'm...technically not really alive. On Earth, I'm just a lost and forgotten soul but here, I'm very much present. I'm a Datrin now."

"Datrin?"

"Some people, they spend a fixed time serving the Upper World leaders as a result of the sins they've committed on earth. After three hundred years, I'll be let free to the Upper World." He plopped into a tiny chair as he finished his sentence.

"Dad, what sins did you commit for such a severe punishment?" I dragged myself reluctantly towards him to hear what more he had to say.

"I was a.....NightMaire, Sophie." He bent his head in shame.

"W-w-what?!" I half shrieked, almost falling to the floor in shock. He was one of them?

As if that couldn't get any worse, he whispered. "I wasn't any NightMaire. I was the Supreme Leader....." He trailed off as I gaped even more at him.

"What are you saying, dad! You can't possibly be one of them!" I shouted at him, holding back warm tears, moving a step back. He came towards me and tried so hard to explain himself but I stopped him. "Stay away!" I fell on the ground now, my palms supporting me.