Back to School With a Crooked Tie

After a boring rest of Saturday and a Sunday filled with cartoons, it was the last week of school before Thanksgiving break.

My alarm clock woke me from sweet dreams of cotton candy land at 6:30 AM. Groaning, I turned it off and got out of bed. I didn't have to be at school until eight, but I take long showers and I'm not that great at tying ties, so I needed the extra time.

By the time I got out of the shower, it was already 7:07, so I was rushing to get to school by 7:30. Nearly impossible, I knew, but I believed I could make it.

I grabbed an apple with one hand and started tying my tie with the other.

"I'm off to school!" I called to my mom as I headed out the door, taking a bite of my apple.

I put my apple in my mouth as I tied my tie and walked to school. The school was only a ten minute walk, so I didn't bother polluting the air.

By the time I got to school, my tie was tied and my apple was finished. I looked at my watch as I threw away the apple core and saw it was 7:20. Yes! I'm early.

As soon as I walked in, I saw Patrick and Ryan talking to a taller boy holding a flower. I couldn't decide whether to go over and talk to them or just walk past. I didn't have to think for long, because Patrick decided for me.

"Hey, Brendon," he said.

"Oh, hey," I said, awkwardly walking up to them.

"Hey, there's something wrong with your tie," Patrick said.

"What is it?" I asked, looking at the tie I worked very hard on.

"Everything," he said. I was taken aback, placing my hand on my chest.

"I am o-ffended," I joked.

"Wow. Would you look at the time?" the boy holding the flower said, nudging Patrick. "We must be going, right Patrick?"

"Yes. We shall, Spencer," Patrick said before winking at Ryan and walking off with Spencer, leaving me alone with Ryan. We stood in silence until he walked up to me and started fixing my tie.

"Here," he said, blushing and trying to not look at me. "Let me fix that for you."

I started staring at Ryan mindlessly, and I wasn't really blushing until he looked into my eyes. I swore, I caught a glimpse of heaven. His eyes were so golden and weirdly familiar. He took a step back before running away and into the bathroom.

"Th-Thanks," I said silently to myself, before getting knocked into a locker. I looked behind me and saw all the kids flooding into the school. I sighed and decided to escape to the bathroom to maybe speak to Ryan some more. When I walked in I saw a waving tail coming from under one of the stall doors.

"Hello?" I said.

The tail stopped swaying and disappeared into the stall.

"Awh, don't be like that, little kitty," I said. "I won't hurt you."

It poked its head out from under the stall and meowed. It was the same cat from the woods.

"Oh hi, Mr. Kitty. What are you doing here?" I said, petting its head.

It meowed again before the bell rang.

"See you later, Kitty." I shrugged my backpack on and stood up before walking out of the bathroom, heading towards my locker.