Slurp, Boom, Gone

I woke up the next morning to my phone ringing. I rubbed my eyes and sat up, searching for my phone. It was conveniently but strangely placed to my right, almost under my pillow. I picked it up without even looking at who was calling and answered.

"Hello?" I asked, sleep still very obvious in my voice.

"Hey Brendon," Ryan's voice rang from the other line and I could almost see his smile.

"Hey," I smiled. "Sorry for running out yesterday, I-I don't really know what happened and I feel so ba-"

"Brendon, it's fine. Andy diagnosed you with cabin fever after you left-"

"I self-diagnosed myself with cabin fever after watching an episode of Mythbusters last night!"

He chuckled. "Good for you." He almost sounded sarcastic (but then again, he always did).

"So, I'm guessing the storm cleared up?" I asked.

"Not really," he said. "I'm using Andy's super-fancy, super-green, super-high-tech phone."

"Ok, cool. But my cell's doing fine."

"I guess the super-high-techy-ness of this phone rubs off on your less techy one."

"Watchu tryna say?"

He laughed. "What?"

"Watchu tryna say 'bout mah fown?"

"Uh, nothing, I..." He laughed again. "You're cute when you talk like that."

"Oh, guurrl, you be playin'." I blushed anyways.

"I'm not playing, I just-" He was interrupted by a loud cheering from where he was.

I smiled. "What happened?"

"The power just came back on."

"Cool." I hadn't even noticed that the power was on my own house.

"Is the power on at your house?"

"Yeah, it was on when I got here."

"I kinda figured. Since we're out of city limits and everything."

"Ok." I didn't say anything else because I didn't know what city limits were and what they had to do with power. "So, why did you call me?"

"Oh, right, uh, I just wanted to say 'good morning'."

"Ok. Well, good morning."

I could hear the smile in his voice. "Good morning."

I smiled and pulled my covers up higher. "So how long do you think we'll be out of school?"

"I dunno. Hopefully until the end of school year."

I laughed. "But seriously. Do you think it'll be until New Year's?"

"Hopefully past then."

We laughed and I heard noises from downstairs that meant breakfast and realized how hungry I was.

"Hey, um, I gotta go," I said.

"Ok," he said. "They want to start another marathon of Rock Band anyways. I'll see you later."

"Ok," I chuckled. "Bye."

"Bye."

I hung up the phone and walked out of my room. I was walking down the hallway, but my stride was interrupted by James opening his door.

"Hey," he said, kind of aggressively, mostly loudly. "Next time you're on the phone with your boyfriend and I'm in the next room trying to sleep, try to keep the fuck down." I blinked at him and he slammed the door.