Nature's Juice Box

Instead of getting kid another juice box, I got us each and orange; nature's juice box. I showed him how to peel one with a spoon. We ate our oranges as he asked me questions about everyone and everything.

I somehow successfully looped conversation back around to what his name was.

He shrugged when I asked, mumbling something.

I leaned in closer and asked him to repeat what he said.

"I don't really have a name," he said, looking back up at me. "I was dropped off at the orphanage without any information, so they just called me weird nicknames like 'kiddo' and 'little man'."

"Oh," I said, because I didn't know what else to say. "Do you...want a name?"

He shrugged again.

"Well... I'm technically just your brother. Pete is your dad, technically, so if you want a name, take it up with him."

He looked down at his last orange wedge. "Well, this is my last orange..."

I smiled at him and stood up. "Then we better get you another one." I held my hand out and he took it after stuffing the orange wedge in his mouth.

We began our walk to the kitchen, but I stopped before the door when he tugged on my hand. I looked down at him and he motioned for me to lean down so he could whisper something to me.

"Your fingers are like Jack Skellingtons'," he whispered.

I chuckled. "Pete's gonna love you," I said, standing back up and walking into the kitchen with kid.

Everyone in the kitchen waved and said 'hi' again. Pete stood up and walked over to us. He looked at me hopefully. I think he might've been watching us through the window. I nodded and his eyes lit up.

"He's still really shy," I warned because I wasn't sure if kid would talk to anyone else.

"Ok," Pete said, crouching down to kid's height, which wasn't much of a difference to be honest. "Hi. How are you?" Kid didn't answer so Pete added, "Are you good?"

Kid nodded and tugged on my hand. I leaned down and he whispered, "Tell him I need another juice box."

"He says he needs another juice box," I told Pete.

"So, he hasn't told you his name?" Pete asked, looking up at me.

"No, he, uh." I glanced down at kid for approval. "He doesn't have a name."

"Oh," Pete said, looking back at kid. "Well, I'm going to have to fix that." He sat cross-legged on the floor in front of kid. "Do you like the letter A?"

Kid shook his head and made a face.

"Ok, do you like the letter Z?"

Kid did the same as he did before.

"Do you like the letter B?"

Kid shrugged and made a 'meh' face.

"Ok, uh, Y?"

Kid made a face worse and the last three combined and shook his head vigorously.

"Ok, B it is." Pete leaned back a little and thought for a second. "How do you feel about Bud, Buddy, any variation of that?"

Kid shook his head.

"Ok... Branch?"

Kid shook his head again.

"...Hmm... Bronx?"

Kid thought for a second before smiling a little and nodding.

"Alright then," Pete said. "Your name is Bronx." He held up his hand.