The Way House

*Brendon’s POV*

We walked to Ray’s car with him and Mikey talking about something that I didn’t care about. I felt like the most awkward third wheel there ever was.

I started thinking of Ryan again. I wondered what he was doing right now. I wondered what he was thinking. If he was thinking of me like I was thinking of him. If he wondered what I was doing right now. If he—

“Brendon?”

I was knocked out of my thoughts by Mikey. I looked at him to let him know he got my attention.

“Are you going to ­get in the car?”

“Oh, right. Sorry,” I said, walking to the open passenger door. “So am I....?”

“...In the middle,” Mikey finished my sentence for me. “Just get in the truck; there’s plenty of room.”

“Not from my point of view,” I said quietly, climbing into Ray’s truck. It was mildly old and somewhat rusty, but he insisted that it ran like new.

Mikey climbed in after me and closed the door. Ray had already started the car and I felt the most uncomfortable I had ever been.

They continued with their conversation from earlier and I just zoned out again. I was knocked out of my thoughts again when I heard my name.

“Brendon, are you alright? You look a little green,” Mikey said, looking at me with a worried look on his face. I didn’t actually notice how tightly packed the car was and how sick I felt until I wasn’t thinking of Ryan.

“Uhm, ye-yeah. I-I’m fine; just a little claustrophobic.” I tried to calm myself down and not get sick.

“Are you sure?” Mikey put his hand on my knee. I shook my head. “Ray, pull over.”

The car was stopped and Mikey got out of the car and helped me out. I bent over, putting my hands on my knees and Mikey put his hand on my back. I took deep breaths until I felt better. I stared to think of Ryan once again, because he made me feel better no matter what. Even if he’s being a complete asshole, I love him to no end and he makes me happy.

“You know, you can ride on the bed if you want. It’s a lot prettier and a hell of a lot more fun,” Ray said, walking to my other side.

“Lots of fresh air, too,” Mikey said, rubbing circles on my back.

“Yeah, and I have some ratchet straps back there if you wanna buckle up,” Ray said.

I chuckled and stood up, Mikey’s hand still on my back. “Yeah,” I said. “That sounds nice.”

“Alright, cool,” Ray said, walking back over to his truck. “It doesn’t exactly open up in the back, so I’ll have to give you a boost.” He laced his fingers in front of me. I placed my foot in his hands and my hand on the side of the truck. Mikey came over and supported my other foot with one hand and my butt with the other.

“Hey, could you get your hand off my ass? It makes me feel a little uncomfortable,” I said, chuckling a bit.

“Sorry.” And his hand was taken off my butt. I made it into the bed of the truck.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been in the bed of a truck before,” I said.

“Really?”

I shook my head. “Not that I can remember, at least. I’ll have to ask my dad or something; he used to have a huge-ass truck.”

“Well then this is gonna be fun,” Ray smiled. “Do you want the straps to keep you in?”

I nodded. He jumped into the back, nearly making me fall over.